1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need some advice...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by lkngro, May 9, 2010.

1. So I'm a freshman in high school (refrain from laughter, please) and I play bass in this band with some friends of mine. We initially got together to play the variety show at our school, which went really well. Then some of our friends started asking us to play shows at parties and stuff. We were all for it.

So it turns out that a couple of these shows we're playing are giving us money (I don't even know why, but I'm not complaining). Now, the variety show at our school was in early March and we haven't practiced since. The parties we're playing are in early July, and we need to practice. The thing is, my guitarist and singer aren't willing to actually get their **** together and set a day aside to practice once in a while.

I'm getting pissed, and every week I've been saying to them, "Hey, we HAVE to practice if we want to play half-decently at these shows." And they've just been like, "Oh, yeah, um, I can't do it this week because...." So just yesterday, we had decided to practice, and so I call my guitarist up and ask him what time, and he says that he can't do it becuase he's at his uncle's. WHAT THE ****?!?!

I would quit this thing, but I want the cash that these shows are paying us, and also, if I do quit, there's only one other drummer that I know (but I'm not exactly willing to work with him) and there aren't ANY half-decent guitarists.

How should I knock some sense into these guys?

2. ForSix

ForSix

Jul 22, 2008
    I've been there.

At your ages, it's not surprising to find bandmembers that don't want to play.

Find a new band.

3. Yeah, but there aren't any other guys who play.

4. I say cut your losses and leave them. They are out there, you just have to find them. Alot of people in high school (and college for that matter) don't want to take the time to dedicate to a band. You just have to find like-minded musicians that share the same passion and determination that you have for music. Place an ad at your local music store or try one of the various online message boards for joining a band locally.

5. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Unless your school is really small I can guarantee you there are other people who play in your school - you just don`t know it yet. I was under the ignorant assumption for about 2 years in high school that I knew everyone who played.. turns out I didn`t and I missed the opportunity to meet and jam with some fantastic musos... but in any case... I`d personally keep practicing and just try to get the parts down cold. If you guys suck then oh well. Take the money and run with it.

In the meantime, find another band to play with.

6. Harumph to everything said here. Definitely put up an ad at the local music shop. If there is a local battle of the bands, go network. Unless you really need the money, don't hang yourself out for some chumps.

7. DeluxeRed

DeluxeRed

Jun 2, 2009
    It's not a band, and they're not "bandmates". Bands play.

8. Haha, touche.

9. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario
    I'd just quit and move on. Forget the couple shows. If you guys show up and sound horrible, it will reflect bad on everyone in the band...including you. Better to keep your rep and move on then try to pocket a bit of cash (which you may or may not even get if you sound bad.)

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    +1

Some people like to say they're in a band rather than putting in the work it takes to actually be in a band.