I need some amp set up help...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yellow dog 62, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Yellow dog 62

Yellow dog 62

Mar 5, 2005
    I'm currently playing a Geddy Lee Jazz, with a GK 700RB amp.
    I also occasioanlly use a Music Man Stingray (Maple Neck, Active EQ).
    My problem is that with both basses, most notably the Music Man, the sound is too bright...WAY too bright. I'm looking for what most players look for, definition and warmth, but I just can't seem to find it.

The band I'm currently in runs music all over the place from Steely Dan to Aerosmith to Lonestar to Earth Wind and Fire to Sinatra.

I just want to get ahold of that Nathan East/Chuck Rainey tone while still holding on to the Rock and Funk(i.e. "slap and pop") punch. Am I confused? You be the judge....

I think that I'm just not setting the amp up the right way, even though there may be 1,000's of right ways. I'm also trying to avoid putting a lot of coin into a bass rig, although that may be my only hope.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Yellow Dog 62
  2. danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Both of the bassed you have listed are pretty versatile machines.
    I would set the EQ to flat or flat with the high and the high mid turned slightly down. Use the contour sparingly this will give your bass a really cool slap tone but will not help to reduce the brightness. Presence will give you some of the cut to get through the band without sounding too bright.

Try doing this and using the bass as your tone changer. GK heads don't color your sound too much in my opinion. Also in my opinion you have to rely on the bass controls to make tone changes.

3. GK has that trademark scooped mids thing going on so try goosing the midrange and see if that warms things up a bit.
  4. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    With my avatar B410 I found the best thing to do was to set the contour at 11 o clock, the presence all the way up, Highs at 9 o clock, high mids at about noon-1 o clock, and then low mids and lows at 3 o clock. Crank the woofer and gain to 3 o clock also. I always thought it sounded great, gutsy, growly with plenty of bottom but never too much, plenty of cut but never too much... that amp is just awesome you shouldn't be having any issues with it. Give it a shot, worked for me.
  5. merrill1

Dec 1, 2004
    Have you tried different strings?

I have found string selection to have at least as much impact on sound as the EQ on my amp. I put rotosounds on once in a pinch, and took them off the next day - ouch. I play bass to hear the bass - too bright for me.

sorry if this was not a help

6. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    On the bass side of the problem: Try a rosewood fretboard. Maple tends to have a brighter sound with more bite. Rosewood is the way to go for warmth. Also a different set of strings could help. On the amp side: Try cutting the highs and boosting the bass and low mids a bit. Most of the bite and brightness resides in the highs but don't go nuts on the eq, try little adjustments.
  7. Yellow dog 62

Yellow dog 62

Mar 5, 2005
    First, thanks for all the input. You people have been very helpful. This is a great place that I'd found after I Googled for info.
    I have tried different strings first. I started with GHS, on to D'Addario's, went to Ernie Ball's (from bad to worse), DR's (actually not bad) then to something called Prism (lasted about 3 hours, then dead). And finally back to D'Addario.
    I've also tried rolling the highs back a bit, and boosting the lows. It came off a bit boomy. I'd also considered a rosewood neck, though I love the feel of maple, I understand the warmth of the rosewood figerboard and am still considering the option.
    I've just recently purchased a GE-7 EQ and it seems to help a bit.
    I've just been recommended to the Aphex 1402 Exciter and am probably going to give it a try.

I was just reading in another area where my question and others had been chided for not having been "setup" in another category, namely "amps". I'll give myself a damned good thrashing for that one. Hey, most of us were newbies once.
  8. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    My GK head can be a little bright too, but its openess is what I like. I agree with other post, back off the treble a tad on the head. Using your instrument's EQ works for me as well leaving the amp basically untouched for the most part. Often I go back to a fairly flat EQ setting on my bass as a matter of discipline when I find myself getting lost in the "knob forest". I find most of my active basses are too bright when the treble knob is more than 30%.