Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need some buying help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassgurly26, Aug 30, 2002.

1. bassgurly26

bassgurly26

Aug 30, 2002
    Chardon, Ohio
    ok i know this will sound pretty stupid but i'm just getting into this whole bass thing and i need to know what to buy. I know the obvious is a bass and an amp but i just keep hearing all this about these different cables and stuff and its all so confusing to me. i'm also in a small budget and need some affordable stuff. :confused: i know i sound really stupid but please help me out!

2. Don't worry, most questions arent stupid. Mostly, all you will need to get started is:
    1. Bass
    2. Amp
    3. Cord

1. Shopping used will give you the best buy, but if nothing around you, look at lower cost basses from brands like Fender (squire series), Ibanez, Peavey, etc... Another brand everyone is talking about is Essex, which are sold a lot on ebay. Most of the time you get what you paid for, just try to play it before you buy it so that you know you like it. Just make sure it is in working conditions and the neck is straight.

2. What you probably would want to just get started would be a small combo amp. I would reccomend Peavey for the brand to look at. They sound ok and are reliable and cheap. You are just starting so just make sure it doesnt rattle or sound funny.

3. Regular instrument cable. Any music store will have them in varying lengths, many that will cost 5-10 dollars.

Good luck, and remember all this is my opinion. If you know anybody that plays bass (or guitar) it might be useful to drag them along to look at stuff with you, just b/c they have an idea of what stuff might be worth.

jtbp

3. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Welcome to Talkbass!

If you are just starting out, a basic instrument cable will do. Fender, CBI, ProCo, etc. all make good, basic instrument cables (many for less than $10.)

You may want to check this one out, too: Monster 100 Instrument Cable. They cost about $20, but they have a lifetime warranty.

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

It's been a VERY long time since I been in the area.
    If you don't mind drivin' a bit, here's a couple stores
    to check out...

Arrowhead Music Corporation
    7640 Mentor Avenue
    Mentor, OH

(right behind the Mall)

Morell Music
    1038 East 6th Street
    Ashtabula, OH

(take Route 11 to the end, turn left at the Crow's Nest,
      turn left at the first light).

Gary Z. is a great guy to deal with (if he's still at Morell's).
    He'll work with your budget.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Welcome to TalkBass. You can get a Hartke starter kit (bass, lil' practice amp, cord, gig bag, etc.) from http://www.samash.com for $280 that got best ranking in the Bass Player magazine Bass Starter Kits shootout. If you've got a lot more dough to spend than this, there's a lot more options, but if your price range is low, this seems to be the best quality starter kit and a good deal to boot.