Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need some cab/amp guidance

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spectorbass83, Mar 20, 2006.

1. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I need some help here guys..
    I am in an Alternative/Hard Rock band and play a Spector Euro 5 tuned down 1/2 step. I compete with 2 guitarists both with marshall 1/2 stacks and a loud drummer.

I currently have a Schroeder 1212 (4ohm) which is powered by a Peavey Max 700 (475W SS @ 4 ohms) and lately I am not too happy with this set up. I think its mostly the head since I get a fair amount of clipping issues. But if I were to replace the head with something stronger, would 2 12" speakers be enough to keep up? I know its a Schroeder but you gotta draw a line somewhere. Will it handle the lows of an active 5 string tuned down 1/2 step and give me the volume I want? Maybe I need to add more speakers?

What would you recommend I do? Thanks in advance.

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Sounds like you're in need of more speakers...

"I compete with 2 guitarists both with marshall 1/2 stacks and a loud drummer."

That's asking an awful lot of 2 12s...

- georgestrings

3. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I was leaning towards the "more speakers" idea too. I really don't wanna mix/match the Schro with a different cab so I will probably stay Schroeder. If anything I will add a 2nd 1212 but at $995 canadian plus tax, that is not cheap and I cannot afford this now. Anything else i can do in the meantime?

Should I sell the Schro and go for something more affordable but with more speakers?

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    A good used 410 can usually be had for $200-$400 - add that with your current setup, and you'd probably be good to go... One of my cabs is a Peavey 410TXF I paid $235 for - and it's worked out great for me... The current new offerings from Avatar look pretty good, too...

"I really don't wanna mix/match the Schro with a different cab so I will probably stay Schroeder."

To me that doesn't make sense - for all you know, a cab of a different make might sound great with your current setup - and will get the job done 'til you can afford your dream rig... If you really like the Schroder you have now, keep it, and upgrade your overall rig as you can afford to... The end justifies the means, IMO...

- georgestrings

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Your clipping issues may be your bass. Spector preamps are notoriously hot, especially if you are boosting bass at all.
    Despite all the shroeder hype, that is a lot for ANY 212 cabinet to handle. I'd look into adding another cab if you want to stay with shroeder, or even better, look into a higher powered head and a Berg NV610 or 215, which will give you all the volume and punch you could dream of, and a tone very appropriate for the type of music you're doing.

6. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I have read about Spector on board pre amps running very hot, for this reason I barely ever boost.

I have read nothing but good things about the Bergs NV610 and 215, its definitely something I would like to look into in the future.

7. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I know it may sound silly about not wanting to mix/match cabs. I know many people do this and it works out great for them. I have been looking into the Avatar 4x10's actually.

8. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Unless there's a drastic difference between having a 10 and a 12...then I'd say it isn't the speaker.

I play in a hard rock band tuned down to C# (Drop D then every string down an additional half step). I had a 1210 and I powered it in stereo with one channel of a Carvin DCM1000(350watts).

Without even bridging the amp, I had no problems in competing with a Peavey triple X half stack another peavey half stack along with a heavy drummer.

I played this setup in a 250 person club a couple of times without running through the house PA like the rest of the band.

From my experience, I would check other amps/basses before tossing that cabinet.

(but if you do decide to sell, drop me a line)

9. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I am thinking that you need more speakers. The 2x12" cab would sound sweet with a 4x10". If would round out your sound. Also, do an EQ check with yourself and your band mates... If the drummer tunes his drums lower and the guitar players are all lows then where the hell are you supposed to go? They are taking all your low end frequencies. Add that to having speakers that drive the low end more and aren't loud enough and you are encouraging everything to blend into one... You probably can only hear yourself once in a while correct? Probably when not doubling a heavy riff and stuff like that.

The clipping occurs if your amp head isn't set at -10db for active / hotter pickups... Clipping is okay if it blinks once in a while, but if it is lit steadily for a bit then you got issues.

Guitar players are tough to work with because when they get their guitar and amps, the ydial everything in that sounds the best to them and stick with it... (same with bassists in some way) I used to have a killer tone on bass but never cut through the mix. I pulled a guitarist move and kept what I used at home for the band. I ended up learning this through forums and it may not sound "great" by itself, but when in the mix it is awesome and defined!

10. I am literally in the EXACT SAME BAND - 2 guitar players using Line 6 heads through Marshall 4x10 cabs. Drummer does double-duty in a Rush Tribute band AND I play a Spector ReBop 5 (as well as my MMSR5) - We do not mic anything except the bass drum, snare and 2 vocals. The rest is cabs a'blaring. We play the same type of music and tune 1/2 step down...

My cab is the SVT 810e and I have no trouble being heard - as a matter of fact, I get the 'turn it down, man!' more often then not. I cannot imagine a 4x10 doing as well... But I don't know for sure.

11. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    I would add another set of speakers, either a 4x10 or decent 2x10. This will squeeze more output from the amp and also raise the spread/Db level. Go for as efficient a speaker as possible and don't worry about mix/matching.

12. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Wow thanks for the great advice you guys.

SnoMan - I will definitely keep ya in mind if I ever decide to sell the Schro :D I still find it amazing how you were able to keep up that well in a band like that! And with only 300+ watts going into that Schroeder. Wow. Maybe it's just the damn Peavey? I swear its been a love/hate relationship since i got it!

bannedwit - My EQ is usually Lows 1 o'clock, Mids 2 O'clock, Highs 1 O'clock. The guitarists don't boost their lows or anything and the rest of their EQ is pretty much flat, they just play loud to be heard over the drummer. And he always tells us to stop having volume wars! Frickin' drummers! Maybe if he eased up a bit. Anyways, my head has an active/passive switch. Its always set on Active.

SnoMan braught up that it may be my bass..Its funny cuz I played through my old passive Ibanez GSR and it seemed to sound so much fuller than my Spector...I kinda ignored it at the time. Hmmm...

The other day I was thinking of pairing an Avatar 4x10 with the Schro...any comments on this idea?? Its the only 4x10 I would be able to afford right now. Unless theres something better in that pricerange.

13. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Yeah....I don't want to come off as a crazed Schroederite, but I've had excellent experiences with them. I do HIGHLY recommend Jorg and his products, but it's fair to say they may not suit everyone. My band still tells me how amazed they are at how full the mini12+ sounds when I don't have it in the PA(not going full rehearsal volume with the band). It just depends on what suits you and what you do best.

I use a Mini12+ airhead with a walkabout now. I didn't expect it to be able to keep up alone, but I always go DI at gigs...so I figured I'll just get a smaller/lighter setup to save myself some hassle.

Of course I do plan on buying a large gig-rig once I can afford it. It's nice to have something light and small to carry around, but...but....you know....I want something MASSIVE....not because I need it.....because I want it :cool:

mmm...mmm....310212....Crest CA9......hehehe

:D

14. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Haha of course you will not "need" a 310212 unless you are playing some stadium gigs, but who cares?! I want soooo much stuff that I don't need. Damn GAS