I need some effects advice.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ibanezsdgr, Jun 4, 2001.

1. Hey there,
    I was wondering about a few things about some bass effects. I am a fairly new bass player, and I do not have any effects except for the gain on my amp (woopie). I was wondering if I should invest in a multii-effect pedal, or if I should buy single effects and make an effects board. Also, what is a good website or chain of stores to buy effects. Unless someone lives in Southern California and can tell me about a store near me.
    Thanks for your help.
  2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    My advice? Learn to play cleanly and get a good sound before disguising it. Honestly.
  3. ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I'd have to go with him. Learn clean first to get playing down, and then have fun with making bass sound like something out of a SFX cd. I go heavy on fx but you really need to know the bassics first. And if you set your eq's right and the gain right, you can make your bass sound totally different. As for the question on the multi or single, it depends on what you get. I have a DOD BASS 30 and I come up with weird sounds most people dont even use on guitar. But Single fx are more customizable then the multi. Then again the multi's have more bells and wistles. Really all prefference, try both out before jumping into anything.
  4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I agree with the other posters - learn to play as well as you can without using effects, but...

If you have to have 'em...

Try looking here: www.musictoyz.com :eek:
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you live in L.A., groove on over to the 7400 block of Sunset. The original, biggest GC, Mesa Boogie, Carvin and several others all have stores on that block.
  6. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have a Zoom BFX-708. It's not a rack / studio quality unit, but I have alot of fun with it. There are pros and cons to using this one. You can read up on it in this site, just search for 708 or zoom. There's also a 506 model which is a cheaper version.

If you got the bucks, buy the individual boxes. The sound quality is better.

I only use effects on a few songs so spending $150 on one unit which contains a flanger, octave, chorus, wah, delay, reverb, distortion, was worth it!

You can probably get one for $130 now, mailorder.
  7. thats another question I have, if anyone knows of any bass teachers near the San Fernando Valley, that would be well apreciated. Thanks a bunch munjibunga, when I save up some cash, i might go over there, but that might be a while.