Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need some expert help here

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Gretschluvr, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Gretschluvr

Gretschluvr

Jun 8, 2004
    Being a new bass player I experience trouble with round wounds and my fingers sticking on the string during movement which causes unwanted sounds. With Rotosound 77 flats I can play like crazy, get most of the round wound vibe and not have this problem, however they start to loose the vibe I love after playing them a couple or three weeks. What do you guys suggest to over come this...or what string do you suggest to minimize this? I thought about elixer polywebs or nano webs but having tried their guitar strings on an electric and not likeing the sound I do not know what to do. Elixers are great on acoustics and I wonder how they are on bass. Also wonder about the half rounds...where should I go with this?

Please advise,
    Gary :help:

2. Gary, I suggest purchasing a set of Thomastik-Infeld JF 344's. These are Flatwound string but are much brighter sounding then any other flat I have used. The best part, they last long and keep the brightness too!

http://www.thomastik-infeld.net/start/

Jazz Flats

String Price List & Ordering Info

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    D'Addario half-rounds are also a possiblity. They're certainly rougher than flats, but smoother than rounds, and have lasted a good while for me (when I've used them).

GHS Pressurewounds are roundwounds with a compressed winding, so they're smoother than rounds as well. I liked them the last time I used them.

There are a number of other strings available that are somewhere between round and flat. I haven't tried most of them.

4. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Are you using stainless rounds? They are typically more abrasive than nickel rounds and, IMO, create more string noise. I'm currently using ken Smith Slick Rounds which are RW's which have been ground for a slinkier feel. They retain some of the brightness of rounds and provide some FW style thump.

Ken Smith compressprs are also nice with brightness but never that brittle, "Oops. I just dropped my spoon on a concrete floor sound." They are nickel iron alloy with an oval winding and are the perfect strings for one of my Pedullas.