Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need some Firefox help!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lamborghini98, Jan 25, 2006.

1. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    So for some reason Firefox crashed on me last night and made me use it with a new user profile, therefore losing all of my saved data and whatnot (bookmarks, shortcuts etc). I couldnt find out how to get back to the old profile in any FAQs. Can anyone help me out here? Help much appreciated.:crying:

2. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I can't help, but that has happened to me before too, so you're not alone.

3. AFlyOnGeddysWal

AFlyOnGeddysWal

Sep 27, 2004
    Orygun
    Did it crash after you udated an extension? Try running it in safe mode if you haven't already:

Safe mode explanation at the bottom of this page under Troubleshooting: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq

4. lamborghini98

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    It just crashed one night after normal use. I tried safe mode, but it didnt help.

5. Use I.E.

:bag: :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag:

6. lamborghini98

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    i could... or i could just use firefox... the only thing im really missing is my vast array of bookmarks and customizations and stuff.

7. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    reboot. It happens to me alot. rebooting usually fixes it

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Do you know how to check for your old profile? If you were previously running "default" as your profile, you're hosed once you make a new default. :meh: Saving your Mozilla or Firefox profile folder as a copy somewhere else is good insurance. On many computers, you'd find that folder on C:/Documents and Settings/Default User/Application Data/Mozilla. It may be under you own profile or whatever as well though, depending on how you installed Firefox. You need to enable "view system files" in Windows to get there. It can be tricky to restore an old profile, but sometimes you can import bookmarks from your old one if it still exists.

The way to avoid this is to use Windows Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del, then go to Processes) when Firefox hangs, and just shut down firefox.exe manually. It's usually best to reboot after that, but sometimes you won't need to. Never let Firefox bully you into making a new profile, but if you do for whatever reason, be sure to give it a unique name so it won't overwrite your old one.

You can get more info on this on the Mozilla forums, that's how I figured it out the hard way. Hope this helps, and best of luck. If you don't use Windows, the idea's the same, but you'll have to look elsewhere for specific advice.

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That usually happens when it crashes. Use the task manager to kill the program completely. Then you should be able to restart it.

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Use Talk Manager to end the program (use the processes tab), because the program hadn't completely shut down. Then you can start it back up right away. Happens to me once in a while, too.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

That's what I do too.

Also, sometimes when I close Firefox it says something like "Cancel 1 download?" or something. Anyone else ever get that?

brad cook

12. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Go to Windows explorer. Under Tools -> Folder options, make sure that you can view all files, including protected files. Now go to C:\Documents and Settings\(your username)\My Documents\Local Settings\Application Data...

there should be a mozilla folder there or a firefox folder, if you can point firefox's profile loader towards those files, you can get all your stuff back

13. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    You have to think in Russian. :bag:

Sorry, bad joke. I'll shut up now.

14. lamborghini98

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Thanks to everyone else who tried to help. Those were mostly suggestions I tried a few times, but this is the correct solution. Thanks, mksolid!