Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need some funky junk...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Feb 21, 2005.

1. I'm looking into buying a Boss Synth Wah, is this a good choice? I'm a poor dude so make budget conscious suggetsions (IE I couldn't afford a 500 dollar effect)

2. SubversivePinko

SubversivePinko No use for an ironic title

Feb 19, 2005
    Bellingam, WA
    I can't comment on the Boss, but if you're on a budget, you should at least try out a DOD FX-25B. They're about $35 new, and a lot of people really like the sound (at any price). At lot of people also like the Digitech Synth Wah, which will also give you synth and octave sounds to play with.

3. i agree...the FX25B is cheap, and pretty funky, along with the digitech...

btw which boss synth? i hear the SYB3 is pretty bad (i also agree, because i have never been able to get a decent sound out of it either, other than a screeching high pitch that scares the crap out of everyone else at the guitar store!)

also btw, you mention that you are a poor dude, isn't the boss synth around the $200 range? the other two mentioned are <$50, which really make it easier on the wallet...then again, you may be getting a really good deal on the boss...i don't know...

4. Check out some Electro Harmonix things. The EH Bassballs or the EH Q-Tron are amazingly funky. And can be found used for around 65 and 150 respectively.

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Auto-wahs are cool too if you're doing something relatively crazy and cannot work a wah at the same time. I'm pretty sure Tim Bob from Audioslave uses one. You could also use a Chorus with the sweeps going really slowly. I heard the Jimi Hendrix wah sounds sweet on bass too. This amazing slap bassist at the Guitar Center by my house uses the JH Wah.

6. I'll look into the 35 dollar one. yes, the Boss synth does cost a lot, I figuerd it'd be good. (I'm looking at the one that's currently on the market (not sure of the name.) I don't trust Digitech stuff really...

DOD FX-25B is my new researchable item. Thanks guys...

7. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I think you should at least give the Digitech a try. The BSW is great for the money, and built like a tank (pretty heavy). I think it's much better than the Boss. There are many satisfied users on this board (myself included.)

8. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    my advice is - dont even bother with the syb-3 you wont be happy. tracking is terrible and range of sound is poor.

the syb-5 has better tracking and you can get some good sounds out of it, but it still appears to be limited. the tracking still isnt as good as a deep impact mind you.

i havent tried the dod or digitech models but you might want to look at the ibanez sb7 synth. also its cheap and pretty reliable so i hear.

9. sorry man,
    but,

NO!

he uses 105Q wah pedals

10. I've messed with the Digitech synth before. I have given Digitech a chance too. It was pretty nice...first I'm getting that Boss Chorus my parents promised me.

11. I used the Digitech Bass Synth Wah and the DOD FX25b. Both are pretty good. If they were the same price (or close to) then it would probably come down to whether or not I could use the synth sounds that come with the Digitech. I think the straight envelope filter setting is not as full as the DOD is (if you just want that sound then get the DOD) but the Digitech has about 7 or 8 different synth settings, some of which are really cool.

Both are good value for money. It's gonna come down to what sound you want to get from the pedal. If it's straight envelope filter, go with thte DOD. If it's synthy sounds and something with a little more edge, go with the Digitech.