Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need some good bass, I mean really GOOD bass.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by old_skool, Feb 16, 2005.

1. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    What Im looking for are some bassists that can really groove. Some upbeat players that can really make you feel it. Now, I know of a lot of great players in a lot of great bands, of all genres, but what Im really looking for is some stuff like Jamersons playing. The only album I have with him on it is a double disk of Stevie Wonder, I cant for the life of me find it or remember what its called. Hes really the only example I can think of, the bassits from Cake are also a good example, not as good but I hope it gives you guys the idea. If I can think of anymore examples Ill list them. Anyway, Im looking for some good albums to check out these great players on. Thanks in advance.

:Edit: The name of the above mentioned Stevie CD is Musiquarium Vol.1.

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Check out some Elvis Presley. Jerry Scheff is laying down some mean lines on much of his stuff. Especially, on the live recordings. "Live at Madison Square Gardin" is a top notch performance.

"Kentucky Rain" is one song that imediately comes to mind. The bass line is very Jamersonish. I don't know if thats Jerry though.

3. Check out the live version of 'Black Market' off 8:30 by Weather Report, Jaco lays down a MONSTER BASS GROOVE.

4. White_rabbit

White_rabbit

Jan 3, 2005
    Check out Victor Wooten... He is the groove master and one of the world's best bass player. Everything he plays is groove, techniche and style... I just love him.

5. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Soulive's organist kickin' organ bass. NO, it's not a bass! Yes, it grooves like a mofo. :bag:

6. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I had 'Show of Hands' by Wooten...Ive managed to loose it however. Wooten is great and all but to me hes just a little cheesy. I respect what he does, he is amazing, but a little too flashy for me.

Keep em comming guys. Thanks!

7. Albums that I can think of off the top of my head would include:

Allman Brothers Band, Live at the Fillmore - the original live album with Berry Oakley. Great, bluesy groovey lines from a great player. I also highly recommend their live at the Beacon DVD with Oteil Burbridge on bass

Steely Dan, Aja - I think that this is Walter Becker and Chuck Rainey. Smooth, jazzy rock

Galactic, Coolin' Off - Band from New Orleans, that plays Meters/Motownish funk.

Red Hot Chili Peppers, Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic - I just recently re-discovered this one myself, great album for grooves

I'm sure that I'm missing a lot of great albums with great playing, but hopefully these will give you some ideas.

8. Lo.

Lo.

Jan 29, 2005
    NW UK
    One Jamerson album is not enough. You must get:

For Once in My Life (Stevie W)
    Home Cookin' (Junior Walker)
    I Heard it Through the Grapevine (Marvin Gaye)
    David (David Ruffin)

Any Motown album between 1967 and 1971 will have at least one track with pure Jamerson genius on it.

Also check out Tower of Power albums (rocco Prestia on bass) and Herbie Hancock's album "Thrust" (Paul Jackson on bass)

And lots of older Earth, Wind and Fire tracks.

Finally, listen to Miles Davis's stuff from the early 70's that has Michael Henderson on it. He's an unsung God of bass IMHO.

There's more....there's always more. :bassist:

9. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Believe it or not, I have heard a lot of the Jamerson type 16th note grooves from none other than John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin. I just bought his bass books and these bass lines are jamersonesque and quite groovy. They don't always follow the guitar, thats for sure. These lines were are also around the same time as motown so its tough to say whether they were jamerson inspired them or not.

Another guy I like is Duck Dunn. He's very much in the pocket while also being melodic.

10. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    early Chicago
    Tower of Power
    Blues Brothers soundtrack
    recent Jimmie Vaughn (think that's another B3)
    Robert Walters (B3)

for something more jazzy, I've been loving the Fareed Haque Group. That bassist really lays it down.

11. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Oh yeah, and anything by Bill Withers.

12. Chip Boaz

Chip Boaz

Apr 23, 2004
    You know, one of my favorite albums with Jamerson on it is "Love Child" by Diana Ross & The Supremes. The track "How Long Has That Morning Train Been Gone" is some intensive Jamerson playing that I LOVE! If you check out the Standing in the Shadows of Motown book, Anthony Jackson does a nice breakdown of the line. Lots of other great playing on that album too.

13. Chip Boaz

Chip Boaz

Apr 23, 2004
    Oh yea, and if you're going to check out Jaco grooves as somebody mentioned as well, you should really hear "Come On, Come Over" from his self-titled solo album. I think his Weather Report work really shines on the live album, 8:30, great version of the tune mentioned above, Black Market, as well as lots of others. Oh, and "The Chicken" too - off his live album "Invitation" (Or if you can find it, the Japanese import "Twins, Vol. 1 & 2" Really a must hear for anyone that every plays electric bass or even for anyone that stands within five feet of an electric bass. Just some great music.

14. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    ...some artists I like:

Tower of Power
    George Duke
    Quncy Jones' old stuff (pre-Michael Jackson)
    Brothers Johnson (Quincy again)

Also check out any of the WOW Gospel cd's..different genre, but it's a compilation album and some of these brothas are NASTY!

15. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.

+1 hehe

16. Check him out .... I think the Funk Brothers are touring again in 05.
    The movie "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" is a good watch/listen.

17. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Stevie Wonder Greatest Hits 2.
    Anything with Bob Babbitt
    Pino Palladino, George Porter Jr., Chuck Rainy, Rocco Prestia,
    Jerry Jermott, Duck Dunn, Lee Sklar.

18. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I was just listening to Joe Jackson's "Look Sharp". Graham
    Maby really lays it down on this one; and with a very unconventional sound and style...His bass is way out front
    on every track...Killer..Maybe not Jamerson-esque per se,
    although he does cite JJ as an influence.

Slug

19. man, I can't believe that George Porter, Jr.'s name hasn't come up yet: you will not find anyone on the planet whose grooves run deeper!

also check out Bootsy back in his days with James Brown. Bernard Odom's stuff with JB is pretty intense, too.

while these are not necessarily the most intricate lines in terms of numbers of notes, they will teach you the pocket.

if you want funky stuff with a lot of notes (aside from the great players listed above) check out T. M. Stevens on James Brown's album Gravity. Gary Willis also plays unreal 16th note ostinato finger funk.

Laurence Cottle has spun more than his share of nice greasy grooves, too.

:bassist:

from the lows,

Stew

20. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    +1 for Bernard Odum and anyone else who played with James Brown. Learning those lines are some of the best to get your groove together.

I also strongly reccommend the bass player of Dave Matthew's Band books. Stefan Lessard is a groovin' player for sure!