I need some good latin style songs to download...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Money, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Sort of like the song that Rob Thomas and Santana did together, but I want all musical songs, no singing.

Why do I need them? Because I feel like listening to something other than the flecktones, black sabbath, green day, beethoven, or social distortion :p
  2. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    shakira all the way man
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Definitely try some Gipsy Kings. "Djobi Djoba" is my favorite tune of theirs.
  4. If you want to cop the Latin thing then you must listen to Mongo Santamaria! Start with Watermelon Man.

Okay so it's technically Afro-Cuban but still....
  5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Anything by Tito Puente (Sr, especially, some of Jr's stuff is good as well, but more pop), Michele Camillo (w/Anthony Jackson on bass...whew), Los Van Van, Irakere, and there's this band from Florida called Rico Monaco & Sol Sons, I hear they're pretty good, but the guy that recorded the bass parts on the stuff they have available is lame...

6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    all together now...."Lucky that my breasts are small and humble, so you don't confuse them - with MOUNTAINS"....... I'm shaking my ass, are you?????
  7. Gard, you are so subtle......LOL!
    Seriously, Gard's suggestions are all good.
  8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

Subtlety is my middle name. :smug:

...I'm no longer the bassist in RM&SS, so I'm not hawking my own work anymore, really.

The other stuff I listed, some of it is more "jazzy" that Mike may want, but it's amazing music. The Rico stuff is a bit more "rock" oriented, and very Santana influenced, maybe actually more what he's looking for.
  9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Oscar Stagnaro has a great book with 3 CDs called the Latin Bass Book. TONS of great latin grooves to learn. The CDs are good enough to just listen to themselves without practicing or using the book. They have music with and without bass so you can jam.

Cachao is a great cuban bassist.

Ozomatli is a good modern latin/hip-hop/funk outfit from LA if you like latin edged music as opposed to straight up latin. Great live. Get their first album.

There are many latin styles, cumbia, tambao, etc. Stagnaro's book represents most or all of them and is a must buy if you are really interested in learning latin bass.
  10. I agree about Oscar's book, it's wonderful. However, on thinking about this, I think that a newbie to latin, who is coming strictly from a rock background, would do well to start with a few of the older Santana songs such as Oye Como Va and Guajira, progress to Smooth, then tackle some Buena Vista Social Club. By this time, the concepts of rock-guajira and salsa will be sinking in, and form a good basis for the developement of latin style.