Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need some help choosing the right amp for me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vVvMuDvAyNevVv, May 21, 2003.

1. Hi, this is my first thread as a new member to this forum, but anyways. I need help on choosing the right bass amp setup for me. This is going to be my first bass amp, however I have been playing guitar for alittle awhile I've just decided to play bass full time now and stuff.

I need an Amp thats going to give me a great sound for the type of music I plan on playing. I'm really wanting at least a half stack at about 400watts or so. My budget is set pretty firmly around 1000-1300 dollars.

Style of music that im really into about every type of metal music there is. I am a huge fan of Ryan from Mudvayne.. I love that sound he gets out of his setup. I basically just need something that'll give me a good metal sound. I also need to have a setup that I will be able to gig with.

I am also going to be buying a Ibanez EDB605 5 String bass.

Im really new to bass stuff so I don't know much at all. I've been to all my local music shops and I've tried a few amps but they are either to high out of my range, or they are to small.I've been looking into those SWR 4004 series, but after reading some of the threads by other people I really dont know what to look for.

Sorry for the extremely long post, but if anyone can help me that would be great and I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Hmmmm, it's tough to find a good half-stack for under 1500. I would suggest...

A. big fricken' Carvin combo
    B. a power/pre setup (qsc poweramp Rmx850
    and an SWR/ampeg/whatever-mows-your-lawn preamp
    and an Avatar cab...
    C. Some cheap Hartke/Peavy stuff.
    D. Something used!!! (SWR super redhead)(Anything you can find)

Hope that helps!

~Zentner

3. Yep, I'd definitely look used at first, even if you get something that isn't your dream rig you can always trade up later after you've been playing a while and know a bit more about what you're looking for out of an amp.

4. How would a SWR Workingman 4004 4x10 and a 1x15 combo be like with the IbanezEDB605? I mean.. is that a pretty good setup or not?

5. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    it'll do whatever you need it to do. look used. i got my awesome stuff for extrememly cheap. 550 bucks. it is an amazing rig.

6. Personally... i really try to shy away from SWR Workingmans cabs... either pick up a goliath III, or find something else.

Once again, i would suggest an Avatar cab...
    they get RAVE reviews, and are cheap like borscht in comparison to most other competetors.

Avatar is the way to go... best bang for your buck. As well, you might want to keep it down to just a 4x10, or perhaps a 2x12. Hell, i bet a good 1x12, or 2x10 cab would do you just fine here. You can always add more cabs as you need them, and it's not heard to find a good, small cabinet rated at 500W. NEVER underestimate the power of a good cabinet.

Size shouldn't be your biggest issue. Be more concerned with the power handling, and the freq. ratings. (and OHMS, obviously)

But really, try and stay away from WM cabs. If your really hung on SWR, get a smaller Pro series cab, or try a different company.

Just a few ideas...

~Zentner

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    old swr goliath 2 cabs should run you about 400 or less - ditto on used eden 410t cabs
    if you can score a used swr sm-900 for under a grand one of those in bridged mode will power the hell out of one 410 (both of which listed should do fine as long as you dont run the amp flat out

i reccomend these as they are somewhat out of vouge now, and swr will give you more of the meatal sound than a lot of others

8. Yah, i play in an Emo/Screamo/Hardcore band, and i'm constantly trying to bring some sort of funk element to it. I can't understand the fact that most bands in this category cannot come up with a bass line that even differs from the guitar line.

It's a constant struggle to try and make new music before it becomes particularly popular. SWR allows me to have a bass tone that cuts through guitar, so that alot of the time, i can take the lead through most of a song. I highly suggest the SWR amps. I haven't experimented with their cabinets enough to say really what works best (as for a speaker combo) but i use BagEnd cabs, which allow me to rip even more.

I'm starting to like a warmer tone in my bass, but the SWR does me well. If you play in a metal band, SWR is a good name.

To be honest, my band has changed from Metal to "screamo" just lately. we played a number of mudvayne covers, which is good. Their bassist is one of the few hardrock bassists that can still jazz up a song, and make it worth listening to. He's got a real punchy sound to his bass, and that's exactly what SWR is. Punch at it's greatest.

~Zentner

9. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Uh, Ryan Martinie (Mudvayne Bassist) uses Ampeg dude. Warwick Thumb (NT) 4/5, 2 Ampeg SVT 8x10's, Shure Wireless unit, SVT-2 Pro Head... _-soto-_

10. hey dude. yorkville's got some pretty good stuff. you could get a 400 watt head, four tens, a fifteen, all of which should fall close to your price range. check it outwww.yorkville.com it's not known as top of the line, but it's got an unreal warranty on the stuff and is built like a tank. you can't kill this stuff. but if you're bent on the swr, i'd say go for it. just giving you an option to get the cabs you want for the price you want to pay.

11. I'd definitely take the SWR over the Yorkville. No comparison really, the SWR punches through and Yorkvilles are just boomy IMO.

12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I would think about a Carvin R1000 and an Avatar cab--or maybe two, given their prices. Maybe used Edens, if you can find them and like that sound.

13. Thanks for all the posts so far. Are the Ampeg B2's any good? Musiciansfriend has a combo for like 1050.. are they good?

14. I have a B2R, which is the head version of the combo. It sounds great but could really use some more power.

15. Hmm, Where can I find the Carvin R1000 and an Avatar cab--or maybe two? Im really intrested in learning more about these items. I just need some power.

16. Ok nevermind.. I went to Carvins site... and well.. Im amazed. I like these Carvin setups alot better than the SWR 4004s I was looking at. But.. How are the Carvin cabs? I mean compared to the SWR WM4004? That Carvin R1000 with 4x10 and that 1x18 is like perfect size I was looking for and very close to my spendings. With anyone experienced with these amps would I be making a wise decision buying this setup?

17. Alright... I think im getting close to my final decision.

Carvin R1000 Head amp
    2 4x10 Avatar Delta Cabs

Good?

I really do appreciate all the help.

Thanks

18. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    2 4x10 cabs is a lot of cabinet. I would seriously consider getting just a single Avatar 4x10 cabinet.

19. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    True, two 4-10s is a lot to lug, but it's always better to have more than you need than to have less. If he can afford two cabs, why shouldn't he get them? He can always leave one cab home for smaller gigs, but he can't bring a 2nd cab to bigger gigs if he doesn't have a 2nd cab.

20. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Sounds like that ought to meet your needs. Good luck!