I need some help here

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phunky, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    I am a beginner at bass, and i haven't played in a band yet. But my speaker is so goddamn bad that i need a new one (we're talking walmart stuff) and i was thinking of getting one of those Fender Rumble 100W Combo, but then again, i could save up more money and buy a head and a speaker seperately, maybe a Hartke MODEL 3000 300W and a Hartke 410TP 4x10" 300W.

Will i really hear such a difference?
    Will i be able to stop hearing those sounds when moving my hand up and down the neck (you know those swoosh sounds)?
    How come i never hear swoosh sounds on concerts?

Thankfully //Phunky
  2. Good technique would be my guess. ;)

Yeah, I don't think there's a doubt that you'll hear a difference if you can upgrade from Wal-Mart quality gear. If you can afford the Hartke in the long run, go for that.
  3. In my personal experience i would avoid Hartke.... Youd be much better of getting the Rumble 100. There will be a definate difference in your sound though... I think you should go to your nearest dealer and just test out amps, and pick the one that fits your needs the best.
  4. Welcome!

I've had success with Hartke, other people aren't as thrilled with their quality and/or sound....

There's plenty of good stuff out there. The Rumble 100 strikes me as being a decent enough amp, though most people prefer a lot more power. Fender's Bassman 200 or 400 combos would be a good step up if you still want the convenience of a combo.

If you go to a head/cab setup, the sky is the limit...Most people prefer the flexibility of this route, that's I've done for years...but for most gigs now I've downsized and I use a 450 watt combo because I don't want to spend a lot of time toting gear, setting up, and tearing down.
  5. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    But how come i don't hear any swoosh sound from i.e concerts?
  6. Hartkes are good amps for starting out (The Transporter and VX seires). I still have my 410VX and I love it. I've tried many much more expensive rigs, and I just don't like them. Hartke is good, but you can do either.
  7. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    If you drag your fingers on the strings you hear that sound, i don't know what to call it :p you know what i mean?
  8. That shrieking kind of string noise is reproduced by the the high frequency range. I don't remember the frequency range, but it is probably above 8khz.

A players technique is the biggest offender, but every aspect of your gear can accentuate the noise (bass, pickups, strings, amp, EQ settings, speakers.)

Fist of all if you have a tweeter go ahead and disconnect it. Try lowering your treble range on your EQ.

If you are going for that trebly slap and pop sound you will have no choice but to work on your technique, which you should do anyway. Come to think of it now is the time to work on it if it is easy to hear. Try using a lighter overall touch with both hands. Try moving your left hand without striking a note and listen to what is causing it.