Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need some help in the worst way

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basspro2, Mar 11, 2003.

1. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    I just got a Alembic F1X and a Stewart 2.1 , I believe I hooked it up right but it sounds like crap.Now you got to understand this is a new venture into the world of amp/preamp. I hooked the preamp full range out to the input side 1 of the amp flip the mono switch on the amp to mono and ran a speaker wire from the two reds across from each other as stated in the manual to a bergantino 2x10 at low volume with a modulus bass..and then to my six ten Ampeg, any ideas why ? My 300 watt Mesa sounds better..
    :bawl:

2. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I understand where your coming from, i just made the switch, all this stuf is really complicated.

Im not really sure how to help, but a lot of tb'ers do. good luck

3. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    By connecting both of the red binding posts, you seem like you are trying to run in bridged mono. Check to see that the Stewart is rated into 4 ohms, bridged. A lot of amps don't like this load. Don't know if the Stewart has a bridge switch, if so, it needs to be engaged, if you want to run the amplifier bridged. Most amps have the bridge switch in addition to the stereo/mono switch. . This assumes both of your cabinets are 8 ohms. If either of your cabinets is less than 8 ohms, do not even try to run them both in bridged condition...you will fry your amp. A more conservative approach would be to run parallel mono. You would need to check your Stewart manual to see if this is accomplished via a switch or by using a jumper. This way, you would have your Bergantino on one side of the amp and your Ampeg on the other.
    Full range out on the F1-X is correct. Check out your amp connections and switches after re-reading the manual. It's really easy to be jazzed about a new piece of gear and skip over some important, but at the time seemingly small, point. Good luck!

kim

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, just to check the sound, why don't you run the pre-amp through one side of the Stewart just to see what the tone is like? I doubt you're ever going to need 1,200 watts into a single 210 anyway.

5. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    I figured it out, no problem now, almost took the roof off the house.