I Need Some Help... (please read if you know anything about amps)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basslax, Dec 29, 2001.

1. OK, ok.. what should i do?

i bought an SWR workingman's 12 for ~$500. i dont know if itll be loud enough for my hard rock band...

i have 3 options

1) Keep it and hope itll work

2) return it and get an Ampeg B100R and get ~$100 back to buy other stuff with

3) (my favorate) return SWR then Get a decent head and functioning cab (can upgrade cab later).

the problem is i dont think i could deal with more than a head and a 1x15" b/c this is just for band practices and i cant lug around an 8x10"

do you think i could get a decent (pref. new) head for $400??

how is the hartke 2000??

what about the gk backline 250?

im leaning towards the GK cus then i could spend a solid $100-$200 on the cabinet.

thanks everyone i really need help (only 25 days til i can return the SWR)
  2. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    All I have heard is completely awesome reviews of this amp here on TB. Sounds to me like your best bet would be to go that route, then SAVE that $100 (go to your local bank and start a savings account with it, and deposit like $10 per paycheck or something, then any extra cash. Adds up quickly!).

I've heard the B100R is plenty loud for just about any medium-sized gig, so I would go for that and save up for a good head and cab.
  3. aww i didnt want to hear that :(

me? save?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

that would be smart but who can let $100 sit in a bank unspent??

im only 15 so i dont get a paycheck...so i couldnt add to the 100 till my birthday...unless i work over the summer (which i will do) but i dont want to get the ampeg then sell it once i get 6 or $700 for a head.

hmm the possibiblites...

ill probobaly head out to GC :rolleyes: on monday and see if they have any "new" used stuff since Tues.

if not ill get the ampeg unless someone posts another suggestion.
  4. Man save up and get an AMPEG B2R and a 4x10 YOU WONT BE SORRY! save up and get better gear:cool: :cool: :cool:
  5. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    A general rule of thumb is that whatever wattage your guitarist are running, you as a bassist need 3 to 4 times that amount. If they are running 60 watts, you will need around 200 to 300 watts to get the more demanding bass to be heard equally and get over the drums. I don't think that you will be ok with the combos you have mentioned. You will end up pushing your power section too hard and it will distort and sound like crap or you will end up blowing the amp or at least you will be frustrated when you can't hear yourself or more importantly the audience won't hear you and if they can't hear you then what is the point! Save your money and get something with more wattage. Try checking into used gear if money is limited...you will get more this way but only if you are careful about what you get and the condition it is in. This all changes if you run thru the house PA and use the combo as more of a personal monitor and how much of the 60 watt max that the guitarist actually drive and you mentioned that you only need it for rehearsal so you will be the best judge on what you really need. As for which brand and model, let your ears be the judge. Too many people rely on other peoples reviews and since sound is in the ear of the beholder your results will vary. That is very obvious when you consider how many reviews on TalkBass contradict each other. One person loves their equipment and the next hates the same equipment so their opinions don't really help you. Trust your ears!!!! Rely on reviews mainly for equipment reliability issues.