Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need some help with my next (motorcycle) purchase...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Hategear, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Definitely the Harley (top pic).

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  2. I'd go with the Honda (bottom pic).

14 vote(s)
    60.9%
  1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Between these two choices, which do you prefer and why?

[​IMG]

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    [​IMG]

Always go with the vespa.

brad cook

3. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    every other yuppie snob has a harley. in my hometown sunday is harley day and all the white collar suburbanites dawn their leather gear and punny sticker laden brain bucket helmets and go out biker gang style amongst the town at 30 mph. the harley says im having a midlife crisis. the honda says im getting laid tonight. go with the layage, get the honda. besides it looks better, it will run better, and its not a harley.

4. they call them "donor cycles".

5. If i was you I would go with the Harley.. If for some reason you dont get to ride as much as you would like to and if you go to sell it. It will have more resale value than the Honda.

6. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Get a V-Rod!:D

Although I do like those VTX's alot. . .

7. Exactly. You can ride the harley for a year and sell it for what you paid for it.

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    if the harley says 'midlife crisis' and the honda says 'i'm getting laid tonight', i wonder what this one says?

[​IMG]

maybe 'i have gigantic balls' :D

actually...this is what i'm going to try real hard to get this summer...

[​IMG]

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    My first thought was "I have a small penis." They don't call 'em 'crotch rockets' for no reason.

brad cook

10. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Hmmm, Suzuki SV650! I like it. They just brought out (over here anyway) the SV1000!

As to the original question, I'd say go for the Honda. It'll be cheaper in the long run to own (well, they are over here but Harley's are very pricey over here).

Which one do you really really want? Then buy it!

My personal preference just now is the ZX-6R that I own (check out avatar!)

I was at the Scottish Bike show on Saturday...It was fun. My list of replacement possibilities are - Honda FireBlade (much more comfortable than I thought it would be), Honda VFR800 (knew this was good, and I like the looks), Aprilia RSVR Mille (nice 'n' comfy for what it is!).

The new ZX-6R is a very different beast to my own (a 2000 model). Much more race track minded, lot of weight on the wrists ,very canted forward, highish pegs. Pretty to look at though, but I'm not sure I coul live with it!

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you read Motorcycle Consumer News you'd know that the Honda VTX models are very problematic. People are having major problems with them. Also, Honda cruisers are ugly to my eyes. I kind of like the Magna and the Valkyrie, but for the most part Honda cruisers do nothing for me. The pressed seam around the gas tank is an eyesore that the Japanese cruiser companies have to get rid of. Only Kawasaki and Harley make clean gas tanks.

I'd go for the Harley between those two, but personally I'd choose a Kawasaki Vulcan, either a Mean Streak or a Drifter over either of those two. Or maybe a Yamaha Road Star.

I like that Hayabusa, but the extended swingarm ruins the bike.

12. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I believe this is what you are looking for...

[​IMG]

13. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I'll have to see if I can find that article on the VTXs, because I've heard nothing but good things about them. Several years ago, I owned a Shadow 1100 and it was my pride and joy. I have always been anti-Harley, but for some reason, I am leaning toward their brand with this purchase. I think it's because I'm after that authentic Harley rumble (or at least, that's what I tell myself). Now, if money were no object, this is what I'd have in my garage:

[​IMG]

And as far as having a small penis, with an almost $300,000 price tag and a possible top speed of 400 mph, this thing screams, "Look at me, I have the smallest penis in the world!"

[​IMG]

Hey moley, I already have one of those. In fact, I'm currently watching eBay for a set of exhaust pipes.

;) :D

14. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    :D

15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Hope "Springs" eternal.

16. I say, go for the Honda! Unless you have surplus $$$ to cover the Harley repair bills.

17. HHhhhhhmmmmmm. I wonder what I'm gonna suggest.......:D

Go for the honda. Guy here at work bought a VTX1800R last fall. What a gorgeous motorcycle, and what a runner. 110 ci water cooled. The R/S spoked wheels one is a classy scoot. Go through a leg over one at a dealer sometime.

Literally kicks the snot outta any HD except the V-rod. What an incredible motorcycle! I've seen a few come by on the delivery trucks, plus done some work w/ some vendors that supply/supplied parts for it. It's so well designed, it's inspiring to think I could work at a place and do that some day.

The confedrate kinda...well. It's neat, sure. But, don't know about the company. Exhaust in the swingarm???? Yah know, I really don't want my structural members going through heating/cooling cycles while having so much moisture in there. No thanks no how.

Now, the bike that most impresses me in the cruiser market, Yamaha Warrior. Wow. Seen a couple in some showrooms (one that had a 250 Avon on the rear). What a bad ass motorcycle. The R1 derived suspension/brakes just give me the willies.
    [​IMG]

And what bike to I want you say? :D Buell XB9S Lightning. I'm a HUGE street tracker / Cafe racer fan. I just wish it had more of a real motor. When the buell company makes their own engine....woof.

[​IMG]

BTW, if you don't know. I work for a custom motorcycle manufacturer. Check out the current issue of cycle world, for the big dog chopper. So, I kinda think some things I say may have some reality put in em lol.

18. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm gonna vote for the Japanese bike! Only because I ride a YamaHarley (Drag Star 650) and love it. I'd buy a Harley if I was rich and could afford to hire a permanent mechanic to tail me in a support 4WD.

19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    tufnuts, I love your avatar!!! 20 X 6!!!