Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need some help with my rick setup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BrettAM, Dec 19, 2003.

1. I have an '86 Rick 4003 that I need to have setup-the trouble is none of the local stores can figure out what's up with these truss rods and all the luthiers in town are backed up for weeks. Since my bass is pretty much unplayable right now (as the action is so high and the intonation is 20 cents sharp) I'm trying to set it up myself.

Like I said, these truss rods are really screwed up-I can't get the nut driver wrench in there on account of the truss rod heads being VERY close together and VERY close to the headstock. I tried needle nose pliers, but it's practicaly the same deal- I can't get them in there enough to move hardly anything. On top of all this there's so much paint in there (even after I chipped most of it off with a screwdriver) that I probably couldn't move the truss rods even if I COULD get my pliers latched around them. HELP! THIS IS MY ONLY 4-STRING!

Note: Edited by moderator for profanity - Please refer to Forum Rules and Guidelines for clarification

2. Last time I had my Rick set up, I noticed my luthier had ground down the outer edge of his nut driver so it would fit between the two truss rod nuts. You could do the same thing simply by grinding the outer edge of your nut driver on a bench grinder. Never try to use needle nose pliers on those nuts...if you strip them you're gonna fork over big bucks to have them repaired.