I need some help with my rig set up...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lewis7789, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    Hi guys. I need some help setting up basically my whole rig.

Here's my list of crap;
    SWR Workingman's 4004 Head
    SWR Workingman's 4x10 cabinet
    Fender Jazz MM Signature with ACTIVE electronics
    Fender Jazz MIM Fretless with PASSIVE electronics
    Boss GT-6B Bass effects processor pedal board
    ElectroHarmonix Bassballs
    Boss tuner
    3-12' Monster Cables

How can I hook all of this up where I can run both basses through the effects loop? I have an 'active' input and an 'active/passive' input on my head along with the effects loop 'send' and 'return'. I'd like to have both basses plugged in so all I have to do is switch basses, my band doesn't stop in between most songs, so I don't have much time to unplug my bass and switch everything over. And would the volume levels be even between both basses with the effects loop? I bought a Morley ABY switch but the volume levels between the basses are too obvious.

My guitarist said the effects send and return will make my rig sound like crap. I think he's on crack, because that's what it's for!? But I'll need to buy another Monster Cable to run the effects loop.

I'm thinking;
    Active bass into 'active' input on my head
    Passive bass into 'active/passive' input on my head
    Bass effects through effects send and return on my head
    And then standing on my head while playing

Any ideas? I just want to be able to run both basses through the effects cleanly without a huge difference in volume.

Thanks VERY much for any help!
  2. I can see where you have a volume difference, so why not buy a gain booster pedal like an MXR micro amp. Here's my master plan:

Run the two basses into the box, then straight after the out, put the booster and run into the active in put of the amp. You will need to buy another 12' and two patch leads, assuming you will have your A/B and boost on top of the amp, so you can hit it when you pick up a bass. But, you will have to use the loop.

Your guitarist is talking out his arse, there's no difference, or at least to me...

Hope this works.
  3. Set up different patches on the BOSS GT-6B. One for gain/EQ/FXs on the fretless and one for the fretted. And if you use a couple of different patches with one bass choose different "banks".

Here is what I would do:

Both basses into A & B of Morley > Y out of Morley into GT-6B > into Bassballs > into active/passive input on amp (if it starts to distort then either turn down the gain from the GT-6B or plug it into the active input on the amp.

I have a similar set up - fretted bass, fretless bass, BOSS ME-50B into SWR SM 900 amp. I set up "Bank" 1 with 3 different patches that I use with the fretted bass and I set up "Bank" 2 with another 3 different patches that I use for the fretless bass. All of my bank 1 fretted sounds have slightly less gain than the fretless sounds.

It will take a little practice and alot of patience from your bandmates at rehearsal but it will pay off at the gig. And you have total control of your "overall" sound at the gig with your amp. For example, if you've set up everything at your carpeted rehearsal room and then you get to the gig and everything is too boomy,..... adjust the amp. No need to adjust your individual patches.
  4. I tired to use the FX loop on my SWR SM 900 but the FX send gives a very hot signal which usually distorts most pedals. It seems to be fairly normal on my SWR WM 12 combo.

I think the nature of the multi FX lends itself very well to the input on the amp. For me, the only time I'd use the FX loop is if I wanted to blend in the FX using the wet/dry control (found on most SWR amps but not too many others). Great for when I was using a guitar distortion or guitar chorus that sucks out the low end,..... but the ME-50B seems really good at keeping the tone throughout its sounds.
  5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Looks like a Bassbone would be perfect. Expensive though.
  6. Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I think the best idea would be to set up two different banks of effects with different gain levels, like what "Big Benner" said. It will take a while to set everything up, but it will work. I'm very impressed with the Bassbone, "SeanM". That looks like a great box, a balanced DI, ground lift, EQ and tuner out. The MM Jazz has onboard EQ, whereas the MIM Jazz only has the pickup volumes and that crappy "tone" knob. Though the Bassbone is $220...