Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need some help

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bass of Galt, May 11, 2004.

1. Bass of Galt

Bass of Galt Guest

Mar 25, 2004
    Scrotillia Falls
  2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I don't understand.

3. Bass of Galt

Bass of Galt Guest

Mar 25, 2004
    Scrotillia Falls
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Why? :meh:

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Ummm....

[​IMG]

6. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    did you know, that if you make a "vector" picture, you can englarge it as much as you want, and it never looks pixelated?

that's because of something to do with vectorisation using lines, instead of squares like pixelated images do.

7. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    But raster (pixelated) images are capable of holding more data per cell.

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I did not know that. How is this done, exactly? I've got some images I want to blow up, and I've got Photoshop, but no knowledge whatsoever about how to do this.

I didn't enlarge the Megaman thing; it's just a direct link. He's not pixelated, he's just 16 bit. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

9. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Try ArcExplorer, I think you can download it for free. It's mainly a GIS program, but I'm pretty sure you can zoom in on pictures and save them that way. I don't think there are any types of manipulation, unless you convert it to a shapefile, which, you would then need ArcMap. And if I'm not mistaken, it costs a couple of G's and needs a good workstation...

Then again, there may be a simpler way, but I don't know it...

10. kanti

kanti Guest

Feb 22, 2004
    Eugene, Oregon

I was going to say something important but I forgot what it was :(

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Cool! Almost time to go home. Want some nuts?

12. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    What kinda nuts you got? I had a little mixed nuts & chocolate chips binge last night ...mmm, tasty! But it gave me heart burn :bawl:

13. Vector graphics store the equations needed to generate the shapes in the graphic as well as other info, such as color, alpha etc. The computer then executes the instructions to generate the image. Raster graphics on the other hand contain color values for each pixel in the image.

When you resize a vector graphic, the computer draws the shapes and fills them with color smoothly regardless of size, since the image is not tied to any specific pixel dimensions. If you enlarge a raster image say 2x (on each dimension) a 1 pixel square becomes a 4 pixel square, and the image editing program has to "decide" what color values to assign the new pixels - usually they'll be some blend of the original color and the color of the surrounding pixels, resulting in blurring.

Think of it like this - vector graphics are to raster graphics (bitmaps) as midi files are to audio recordings. You can specify a new tempo for the midi file without losing audio resolution, but if you change the speed of an audio recording the data is affected.

This is an oversimplification, but that's basically the deal.

So, you can't really just convert a bitmap into a vector graphic, at least not so it looks identical. Flash can use raster images, but the drawing tools in it are all vector-based. Think of the cartoony-looking flash movies you've seen compared to photographic images for an idea of the visual difference.

-Mike