1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need some help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dostoievski, Jun 27, 2007.

1. dostoievski

dostoievski

Jun 26, 2007
    Hi people from this forum...
    I´m a guitarist who wants to start playing bass, and would like to know your opinion about the following.. Is it better to start playing on a 4-String or can I start right on a 5 or 6-String? How difficult it really is to adjust? Are there any advantages or disadvantages coming from the guitar, like my case?
    Maybe it´s a stupid question but I´d like to know from your experience.
    Thanks in advance to all of you.

2. manbass

manbass

May 20, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    On a 4 string....Its the same bottom 4 tunings as on your guitar, but one octave down. How hard can that be?

Being tuned in 4ths, any added string lower or higher is really a pattern or reach effort question. Go for the 6.

3. dostoievski

dostoievski

Jun 26, 2007
    Thank you manbass.. I think this thread is not really interesting to most users.... :meh:

4. Jonny B

Jonny B

Nov 5, 2006
    WI
    It's a lot like being used to driving a Ferrari and then hopping into a big ol' Ford F350. Same principle, just a different technique.

A four string would probably be easier to learn the basics, but in the end it all comes down to what you want to do with it.

5. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I was a guitar player once, then I got help....

Seriously, you have some advantages if you know your way around the fretboard on a guitar, because it will all transfer over to the bass. You do have to treat as a different instrument though, its not a guitar with lower notes. You would probably have to really learn how to play rhythmically. But you do have a headstart.

As far as how many strings, I went straight from a guitar to a 6 string bass. I don't recommend it. Stick with 4 or 5 strings to start. If you find it limiting, you can move up later. But, the last thing you need when learning the fundamentals of groove and holding down the bottom end is skinny strings to play high notes and chords with. You can do almost anything on a 4 string and its probably the best way to start, but if you like to play with alternate or low tunings you can get a 5 and not have to retune for every other song.

6. I'd also recommend starting on a 4 or a 5. A 4 is roughly the same thickness as a 6 string guitar. When I started out on bass, I wanted to hold the bass like the guitar, which made a 5 and a 6 uncomfortable. Once I got my form down, a 6 ain't so bad.

7. catoblepas

catoblepas

Jun 26, 2007
    manhattan
    learn on a four, a five if you really want to push it. i think if you're transitioning from guitar, the neck of a six-string bass might be too massive.

8. dostoievski

dostoievski

Jun 26, 2007
    Thank you all for your opinions... Even though I haven´t decided yet... :D

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021