Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need some help.

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by WillySanchez, Jan 30, 2002.

1. I am an electric bass player, looking to dabble into the upright. Any ideas on a cheap student bass...It wont have to be like the best, just good enough to sit in my room and be played on. I just want it to practice on, and if i can do it, and like it, i will persue a better made bass. One more thing....are there any differences between the basses you finger and use a bow on? i dont know why, but i always thought there was.

2. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Willy, I am sure that if you'd do a little homework, like browse or search the archive ("new", "start", "decent", etc) of this forum, you'd get some clues and would be in a position to ask more specific questions.

Anyway, first thing to find is not a bass but a teacher. A couple of private lessons on the teacher's bass and you'll learn much more than if you sit on your butt surfing the net for basses.

3. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    Willy,
    What kind of music do you want to play. That can affect the choice of bass you want to get.

As an example if you are going to to Blue Grass you don't need a orchestral grade bass -- a plywood bass would do just fine. I'm not running down Blue Grass music I play it myself, so, no flames required please!

Also, what do you mean my cheap? If you look long enough you should be able to find a well used Kay for around $500. There are a zillion of us that learned to play on Kay's.

I would stay away from the bass' you see on ebay for under a $1K as it will cost you almost $1k more to get it set up and it will still sound about as good as 50 grunting hogs.

The part above about getting a teacher is good advice.

What ever you do make sure you sit and play it befor you buy it and take someone along who knows bass' to help make a decision. You got to look for buzzes and wolf notes and the best way to find them is with using a bow.

Joe