i need some help...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by J_PARMER, Jan 2, 2003.

May 17, 2000
    ok, my amp is dying quickly and i need to at least start checking out new amps. right now i have a combo but i'm looking to find a nice head and cabinet in the future. i've looked at reviews on the eden, swr goliath, and several others but i dont have much expirience with what all the amps sound like and whats best for my kind of music. i play heavier stuff, ummm like, mudvayne, slipknot, system of a down, etc, etc.....what is the best amp for tone and durability. i know i've posted something like this before and i was told to check out the eden nemisis. i just want to make sure i've got several opinions before i make an investment on something like this. i appreciate all the help.
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

There is no "best." If there was, there would be very few, if not a single, bass amp manufacturer. It's very subjective.

Plus, it depends largely on your budget, too.

For the music you describe, with all that detuned, very "un-hi-fi", boom tone I immediately think of the large Ampegs.

If that pricing is too high, maybe the Carvin RL810. Nemisis amps are quite loud for their size.
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Hey, welcome back rickbass!
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Its amazing how everyone is comming back out of nowhere. Jauqo, Allo, Rick bass etc.... I wonder what happened to Diff?;)

Back on topic, I would recommend Nemesis. They are lound and powerful for their size, and are very versitile, and can be used for alot of different sounds.

Whats your budget anyways? That would really help me more.

5. I just picked up an Ampeg B2R head, it's pretty loud, cheap, and sounds great for the heavy stuff. I can't comment on the durability, although it does come with a 5 year warranty so that has to say something.

May 17, 2000
    well depending on how fast my amp dies, its kinda playing distortion when i've got the clean effect on. lol. but i may be looking to finance and i really want this to be a once and done thing (at least for a while) so i wanna get what i want so i dont have to do this again for several yrs. just throw it at me whatever u got. i guess i'd like to stay under 2grand total head and cab.
  7. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    If I could start over, and spend all the money Ive spent on amps and stuff in one blow (this is after hearing and playing through stuff by peavey, carvin, eden, genz benz, crate, ampeg, SWR, and a few others) I would buy a carvin R1000 (1000 watts, biampable, LOUD, and very durable) Ive dropped my R600 head out the back of my truck aonce or twice, and it didnt complain a bit.

as far as cabs go, I would look primarily at the XB2 genz benz cabs. I intend to purchase one as soon as possible. Personally I like the 610, but you might want to look at the 410+15 or 410+18, possibly even two 410s. The genz benz stuff strikes me as an edenish cab, but for less $$$.

you will notice my philosophy of buying more inexpensive equipment that gets the job done. I would rather do this when gigging and have brute power rather than boutique sound. I also dont want to worry about my cabs getting scratched, or my head getting dropped, etc. hope this helps
  8. bassyamaha5

Sep 4, 2002
    Hanover, MA
    I would look into a good head, I can't give much advice on this, as I have only used my ampeg svt3 pro, I would not recommend this amp, I did use a fender bassman 1200 once for a gig, and it was sweet, but I don't have the cash to bu one right now, as for cabs, look into bag end, I have 2 s15-d's, and they are very loud, I play the same type of music, but I do play some other stuff too, very cleantight sound if you want it, I've seen them around new for 400-440 each, awesome cabs, I can't say enough about them, and they are very light,
    just my 2 cents
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Thank ya, Bryan! Always good to get away for a while and deal with musicians who don't know TB even exists.
  10. J_PARMER

May 17, 2000
    thanks for the help, i guess i got some homework to do. :)