1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need some honest opinions here...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by loops84, Mar 15, 2008.

1. loops84

loops84

Feb 20, 2008
    I posted before about other topics but now I feel like I need some advice from other bass players, especially those who have played in many different bands. Ok, I am a beginner. I had my bass guitar for like three years but during the first year I had no amp, so practicing was real boring and I didn't do it much. Now that I have an amp, I've been playing for about 2 years. maybe more. I play in a band, well there really my friends and we've been making music for quite sometime. I used to rap but went to bass so that we can have a real band when we perform. I found that I really like playing the bass and that it's so much fun that I even gave up rapping just to focus on playing better. We started off shaky and I don't think we've really gone anywhere or matured as a band. I feel like because Im such a rookie and cannot just listen to our guitarist and start jamming that I am making the band look bad. The guitarist doesn't know what the heck he's playing half the time he just knows that it sounds good. I always struggle to figure out what the heck he's playing and then when I do figure it out it changes slightly. The tempo or something will change and it throws me off. Now that I laid a ton of eye cramping malarky on you guys I was wondering what I should do. Should I stay in the band for the experience or should I quit and work on my chops. Join a band when I feel comfortable enough to be able to play on the changes and not get stuck? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

2. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Don't quit the band, it doesn't sound like their any better than you and some experience is better than none. Also look for others to play with particularly players who are better than you and can help you get better.

3. First off, the best way to get better is to play with other people.

As for the guitarist not knowing what he's playing........if he doesn't know, how should you? You should be able to figure it out after a bit.....but then he changes it. I think that's asking a little to much for a beginning bassist to do. At the very LEAST, he should be able to give you the chords or key it's in.

Given some time, I think you'll get the hang of things. One of the major things about being a bassist is having a strong sense of groove and being able flow with whatever a gui**** might throw at you.