1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need some info on Bag End Cabs....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chaunceytoben, Apr 28, 2009.

1. chaunceytoben

chaunceytoben

May 29, 2007
    Detroit, MI
    Hey all,

So ive spent this past evening browsing my local craigslist for some good deals, even though Im not really GASing for anything specific.

On the last page, i find a listing for a bunch a bass gear for sale. I open the post, and the man says he has a Bag End 410 (no model number) cab for only $350. Now i don't know anything about Bag End's, nor have I even played one, but from my constant attendance at this site, I knew the company to be a high end cab maker. So i did some googling, and found that the Q10B-D model was selling for $1000+ new and ~700 used.

So im thinkin I might have a steal on my hands, but I wanted to come here first to get things straight. Did Bag End ever make a more budget line of 410's? Am i getting as good a deal as I think I am? How are these cabs, sound wise, would they match well with my GK 7001-RB II?

Any info is appreciated....Thanks!

2. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    I have never had any disappointment with anything BagEnd - cabs or drivers. That's a good price, go chk it out. Do verify if they are BagEnd drivers in the cab thou.

3. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I don't think Bag End's ever made any budget products, so you should be fine. But definitely go try it out first before you buy it. I'm sure you'll like it, and you'll make out like a bandit.

4. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    the only differences im aware of are two different sized cab models, one is 12" deep, and the deeper one is 18", IIRC. also, it may or may not have one coaxial driver. i forget how their nomenclature works anymore, but their model numbers are pretty descriptive. if you can get a number from the seller, it'll tell you exactly what cab it is, and you can either ask people here, or figure out from checking out the bag end site exactly what the model numbers signify.

i used to own one of the shallow 210s with the coax driver, running a hartke head with it at the time, and the tone was great, though it lacked enough low end projection for my taste(it was a small 210, after all). the 410s are killer, especially the deep model, but they weigh in at around 100lbs. no different than my eden though in that respect:D

without having seen it in person, and from seeing other used 410s on the market, i'd venture a guess that its probably the shallow version, though who knows? maybe youre getting an awesome deal.

5. chaunceytoben

chaunceytoben

May 29, 2007
    Detroit, MI
    Emailed the guy, he says its a Q10X-D.

What kind of tone do these cabs have? Vintage, hi-fi etc....?

thanks, Adam

EDIT: Just check the BE website, and no Q10X-D is listed. Is this an older model, or is he mistaken for the Q10BX-D?

6. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    The Q10X-D is the shallower cabinet. The "B" denotes the deeper cabinet. The Q10X-D is only a special order piece currently, if I recall correctly.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    12" deep 4x10" with a coax driver... $350 is a great price and it should a good match to your GK head!

Tone wise.... Vintage Hifi sounds right ;) No sizzle of the typical SWR /Eden bullet tweeter, but nice clear punch.

8. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    There has never been a budget Bag End series cab.

The only rap on Bag End 410s is the weight. It will be heavy. It also will sound great, and be built like a tank. The sound will be very even and pretty full range. Bag End cabs are designed to sound great in a mix, and recreate the bass properly in that mix. Nothing fancy, just all around sound.

The "X" in the name means it has the coax tweeter in one of the speakers. The tweeter will give it some sparkle.

9. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    IIRC, and I might not, the "C" series was a black carpet and the "D" series is the deep red carpet. All internal components are the same.

Great deal. Go for it.

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    you do... exactly the same

11. Mulebagger

Mulebagger

Dec 12, 2007
    poppin in the corn belt
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Guitars, Tsunami Cables, DR Strings, GK
    I've had 7 or eight BagEnd cabinets and they all have been amazing. I'm currently using the D10BX-D and it is simply my favorite 2x10 box. Loud, clear, warm, punchy, and highly detailed at higher volumes. It throws a serious low B. I use it with either an AG500 or DB750 with no worries. My only girpe is the weight ( like 70 lbs ) but it is still pretty compact. When you have a 15 ply birch cab, it's gonna be heavy. Sounds like a great deal. I prefer the deeper series, but this one will still sound sweet.

12. I have had great experiences with the Bag End gear I have owned and played through. Good stuff.