I need some input, throw some wisdom this way, please.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sickfayce138, Sep 19, 2002.

1. i have many questions...any and all input is appreciated....:D

im looking for a good natural sound with deep warm growl cause i want nice some natural distortion, nothing too nasaly. i use alot of pop, slap and chords, so i think that my hartke brings out my higher end really well. i already have an ampeg b2 1x15 combo, but im looking for more wattage and just a better sound, my poor head has alot of milage on that @$$, its been thru alot.

first off what does anyone think about mixing an ampeg svt-215E with my hartke 8x10 XL-series?

my hartke is an 8ohm'er and the ampeg im looking at is a 4ohm'er(i think) could this present a problem and how?

if they are compatable, what should i look for in a head so that i can get the most out my sound, the only head i have really been looking at is a hartke 7000, any suggestions?

what is:
    frequency response
    useable low frequency
    RMS handling
    program handling

and what should i look for in those specs.

i appreciate any info at all, im about to make some major purchases and i really want to be informed before i fry something and im not gonna wait till i get to the store where some guy is gonna sell me what ever he can push off on me. thanks everyone and this site is the (place profane word here), i love it, sorry for the long post. :p
  2. Sorry, sickfayce, but I haven't the technical knowledge to answer your question. I would simply point out that you would surely get all the informed answers you need in the AMPS forum as opposed to the miscellaneous forum. The guys over there know their stuff. :)
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Right you are, restaurant@theanteroomofhades.
  4. Oh, where to begin. First off, I'd be real surprised if your Hartke 8x10 is an 8ohm cab. Check again, I'll bet it's 4ohms. Next, I don't have any experience with the Hartke 8x10 so I'm partly talking out of my ass, but if it's like their other aluminum coned cabs, you picked the hard way to go about getting a deep natural sound. The sound you describe you want can be easily had with a 2x15 and a 2x10 top cab type of arrangement, but I don't think so with 8 aluminum 10's. Will adding a 2x15 cab to the Hartke 10's help? Possibly, but Judas Priest that's a lot of gear to hump around when the same thing could be accomplished by selecting different cabs.

If the Hartke cab is 4ohms like I suspect it is and you add a 4ohm 2x15 cab, you're going to wind up with a total impedance of 2 ohms if the cabs are run on the same circuit. Most amps don't like 2ohms and will tell you so with a generous puff of smoke. The safe way to run two 4ohm cabs is one on each side of a stereo amp and the Hartke 7000 can do this. Personally, if I were in your shoes I'd rethink the whole speaker cab plan and get something that gave me the sound I wanted in a reasonable sized package.