I need some jazz pickup covers made. Recommendations needed

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Trevorus, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I need some pickup covers made for my lace sensor jazz pickups. Don't want to spend a lot of money, so I really don't need exotic woods or anything. The reason I want to have these made is that Lace wouldn't answer my e-mails about where to get replacements.
  2. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    I've considered this myself and i don't think its that tough if you have a router, a tight bit for the corners and some sandpaper.
    I would lay them out on a wide piece of wood for stability and then route the cavity. Then I'd cut and shape to size. It doesn't appear that difficult, but I'm sure someone will chime in.

3. Use a 3/16" round bit (spiral if you can get it) and you'll be fine in the corners. Do like Luke said and you won't be trying to hold down a tiny piece of wood while hollowing it out.

If you want to make sure you've got a really thin top and don't want to hassle with making sure you're plunging to the right depth, then cut all the way through and then just glue a piece of veneer to the top of your frame like in the pic. Sand, paint or stain, finish and your done.

If you want more room inside the cover, buy a set of replacement plastic covers and carve off the ears before laying out your pattern on the wood.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I do have a nice routing bit and router attatchment for my dremel. I am just wondering what kind of wood would be good. I might have to buy some rosewood blocks and some peghead veneer.