Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need some Juice for my Berg's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassTerd, Dec 20, 2002.

1. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I recently purchased a Bergantino HT2x10 and I power it with a GK 1001RB. I plan on getting the Berg 1x15 very soon. I have read that Bergs need a a lot of power to open up.So what I need is a power amp that will have enough wattage to power both cabs together. I was thinking about going QSC PLT or maybe a Stewart world 2.1.
    Does anyone have any sugestions on a power amp?

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Extremely happy Stewart 2.1/Bergantino user here. :eek: :)

3. BassTerd

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Good to here. Hey fuzzbass are you running the same cabs? Do you find the Stewart has plenty of power for both cabs.
    thanks

4. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    How does the 2x10 do with the 1001rb? I kind of dig the portability to power ratio of this head and I'm wondering how it does with a smaller cab.

5. BassTerd

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    basss. The 1001rb does ok. I cant crank it all the way up because it will start to fart out but I can play it loud when the need arises. I use the 1001rb as a power amp because I'm using a DB680 for tone shaping

6. jfiles

jfiles Commercial User

Oct 29, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    VP Sales & Marketing: Bergantino Audio
    By all means get the Stewart 2.1. It's a great amp and it only weights about 17 lbs. and sounds wonderful!

7. Fuzzbass

Heh. This is a little embarrassing, but you asked: I went a little crazy with the early Xmas shopping for myself and have wound up with a bunch o' Bergs (no, I won't use all at once! :eek: )

One channel of the 2.1 (775W) has been enough for either the 212 or 310, even at gigs. The 210 and 115 just arrived and so far I've only used them once. Running stereo (450W/channel) into the 210/115 stack was enough for a moderate-level rehearsal. but these cabs aren't as efficient as the larger ones so I'll probably bridge the Stewart into that stack, as boogiebass does. I should probably leave the amp in bridge mode for any situation.

FWIW, I bought all four used... don't yet know if I'm going to hang onto all of 'em.

[​IMG]

8. BassTerd

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Jfiles. I like how light weight the 2.1 amp is and the fact that its only 1 rack space. I just want to make sure that I have enough watts to power both cabs.

9. BassTerd

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Fuzzbass. So if you were to run your Stewart bridged would there be plenty of power to open up the 1x15 and 2x10.

10. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    QSC amps are just as light as Stewart amps. I own a PL224 and prefer it to my Stewart 1.6 to power my Bergs.

11. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i have a Bergie 212 and a 112.

i use a QSC PLX 2402 bridged all the time.

JUICY!

haven't tried them together yet. but both cabs sound FANTASTIC with lots of power!!!

i can drown out 2 guitarists, a screaming vocalist and a frenetic drummer with the QSC and the 212.

unbelieveable tone!!!

the best rig i've ever owned!!!!

the 112 and my QSC bridged is perfect for my jazz/grass gigs.

f

12. Fuzzbass

Hang on... the Stewart 1.2 is 1200 watts bridged into 4 ohms and only 1 rack space, the 2.1 is 2100 watts bridged into 4 ohms and is 2 rack spaces. I can't comment on how well the 1.2 will work for you because I own the 2.1 (which has more than enough power).

13. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Can't say enough about the Aguilar DB 750. All the power you'll ever need, and tone that can't be beat. Weighs a ton, though. Fan noise is an issue for some. The amp just kills with any combination of my Aggie 1x12, 2x10 and 4x10 cabs.

14. Mikeels

Mikeels

Apr 20, 2000
    So.CA.
    I just bought a Stewart world 2.1 to go along with my Aguilar db659 and couldn't be happier. The fan noise is way less on my Stewart than the QSC PLX, which was a factor for me. I won it on e-bay at an unbelievable price brand spankin! Check out this site www.enjoysound.com if he doesn't have one up for bid.

15. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I went through the same deliberations a few years ago and ended up going with QSC because the company and it's reputation was more solid. Stewart Audio had changed ownership around then.

I'm glad I went with the QSC. Their warranty service is excellent.

16. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    can't wait to try out all the new stuff at NAMM 2003.

and don't forget to attend the BassQUAKE!!!

www.bassquake.org!

f

17. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I hereby dub thee King Berg, Fuzz! Awesome collection of cabs, dude.

For the record, the HT210 and HT115 mono-bridged with the Stewart 2.1 is my favorite rig. Clean, full-range and tight. And for small rooms, restaurants, etc. I still like that lil' HT112 with an EA iamp600. Talk about a light load-in. :D

18. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i have to chime in AGAIN with agreement about the HT112.

i use it at my jazz/bluegrass gigs in a restaurant in Fullerton called Stubricks.

the perfect compliment to guitar and violin.

with my QSC bridged at 1500 watts into that little 8 ohm cab = sheer bliss!!!

hard to describe, but its just MEATY!!!

f

19. I'm not sure I get that. Wouldn't all that power be too much for a little cabinet like that to handle? It's only rated at 300 watts. Are you saying it should be more like 1500?

20. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    well, the usual setup for amp/cab matching is..

amp power = 2.5 times the cab rating.

which gets it up to 600 watts.

the more the better in my opinion. just have to be careful with the levels.

smokin!

f