Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need some new gear...........any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by George W. Hater, Aug 31, 2003.

1. George W. Hater

George W. Hater

Aug 31, 2003
    Hi everyone. I am currently the bassist of a punk band, and recently just after my band finished playing a gig, some drunken metalhead came charging towards me, in the process ruining my bass:bawl: :mad: . It was my first and only bass (Peavey Milestone IV). Now I am looking to purchase a new one, but there are so many to choose from. That is why I am here. I was wondering if someone out there could suggest a new bass to purchase, that would have a good sound for punk, or rock. Money isn't much of a problem, but just don't go overboard and suggest some top model spector or something.

Thanks for your help people.

P.S. I'm in the market for a new amp as well...if anyone has any suggestions.:bassist:

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Punk.. i would suggest a Fender American P Bass or a Musicman Stingray.

3. SkaKing27

SkaKing27

Sep 1, 2002
    St.Louis MO
    get a MIA or MIJ Fender Jazz.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    MIJ over MIM?

5. I am with Figjam, if your doing punk...cant go wrong with a P or a Stingray.

6. Stingrays are also good for funk and hardcore.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea, great for punk, i dont play "hardcore" so i wouldnt know for that though.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    any time, any day IMHO!

P or Ray... another Peavey would be cool. Lakland Skyline 44-02 would be tough.... G&L L-2000 Tribute even.

Go Play a bunch, let us know what you're checking out.

Good Luck

9. like people said with a P bass, J bass or MM you really couldn't go wrong. a G&L L2000 has qualities of all the above mentioned and is very sweet bass if you like a lot of tone options. there is a Amberburst L2000 for sale at http://www.thelowend.net for $625 -- that is a great deal and I have the exact same bass and it is awesome. but if you are into more simple passive tone controls then the P bass or J bass might be best.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sorry, I can't get past your stupid screen name.

11. man, you can even go with the G&L\Tribute L2k\2.5k basses man. versatile and for me, my L2500 has gotten punkie tones for when I needed 'em, metal pumpy grindy sounds, and metalcore growls for when I wanted.

My bass is SOLID, so if you were to get one, a drunk man charging with a chainsaw has a better chance of busting it as opposed to some drunk man charging at it.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Who

13. corky st. clair

corky st. clair

Apr 22, 2003
    Now that is irony!

Go with a P, for punk.

14. George W. Hater

George W. Hater

Aug 31, 2003
    Thanks for all your suggestions people. I've already talked my brother into driving me around tomorrow to the dealers that carry the fender P-bass and the Music Man Stingray. I'll try to post again soon with what I thought of em.:bassist: