I need some new heroes...

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Haderian, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Hey guys, another stupid question from Sweden. Just received the new Primus DVD and was blown away by a bootleg acoustic video with Claypool on upright. But their side project Yellow Sock never did a CD. This made me think -- there´s got to be hundreds of hot little acoustic bands like this. But how will I find them? Straight jazz usually gives me a headache, especially when horns are involved. But I´d love to get a few hints about good and strange bands with skilled upright players, that I can look for at Amazon. I mean, maybe stuff that sounds like some of Tom Waits´ backing bands. Anything original with musical and bassical quality would improve my life quality a lot. Especially since I am in an acoustic quartet myself -- 100 y/o upright bass, guitar, washboard percussion and Transsylvanian "horn violin".

Thanx, brothers (& sisters?)...
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Medeski Martin and Wood

it's a jam band that thinks it's jazz ;)

Chris Wood is a student of Dave Holland (another one to look at... he's got some non-horn stuff). MMW is a Hammond Organ, drum kit and upright bass. They also backed John Scofield on his "A Go-Go" release.
  3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Tony Rice Unit is great, some of Edgar Meyer's stuff is also.
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If you prefer bent jazz to the straight kind, check out Rob Wasserman or Barre Phillips.
  5. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Hejsan ;)

Du borde ta och kolla upp den svenska basisten Anders Jormin , gärna hans soloskiva "Alone". Han är i en klass för sig,

good luck ;)
  6. It sounds to me like you might get a kick out of a band called The Bad Plus. Their big-label debut is titled "These Are the Vistas" and can be reviewed and/or purchased HERE

In line with speddling's comments, MMW is highly recommended. They're pretty much my favorite group and I have a very tough time thinking of bassist I would more like to emulate than Chris Wood. JHMO...
  7. Hejsan,
    I don´t write på svenska, because this is for everybody else, ain´t it?
    But since you are in Sweden, you must be familiar with EST ( Esbjörn Svensson Trio ).
    The bassist Dan Berglund is one bad mother.
    No horns included:D