Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need some new jazz recommendations

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by OrionManMatt, Aug 22, 2005.

1. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    I love jazz.

I don't really know that much about it. I mean, I can't tell you the difference between bebop and well...whatever...but I know I love jazz.

I own a few Medeski Martin & Wood (Combustication, Tonic, Last Chance To Dance Trance (Perhaps), Miles Davis (Bitches' Brew, Kind of Blue), and a "best of" Stan Getz; records that I love but don't know what I'd like next. I think I typically like stuff that pushes some boundaries but doesn't go insane on them.

What should I try next? And describe it.

2. Here are some suggestions based on your "pushes boundaries, but doesn't go insane on them" criteria. Hit up Amazon for reviews if you want specifics:

Miles Davis - Milestones. Obviously you like Miles since you have other albums, so this is a must. It could also be called "John Coltrane - Milestones" but whatever... Incredible.

Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus. Just buy it.

Joe Pass and Nils Hedding Orsted Pederson (could have butchered his name) They have a duo session that is amazing....forgot the album title.

John McLaughlin - Shakti. This is a indian jazz fusion thing....a little departure from the previous straight ahead suggestions.

Charlie Parker - Bird Suite. Bebop frickin fiesta. I'm allergic to strings so a few songs on the first disc grate a bit, but the Bird and Dizzy tradeoffs are SICK. My favorite Bird CD.

These are all quite different (except Rollins and Miles/Coltrane). They are also mainstream for jazz and are must haves for a jazz collection IMO. I could type on this for ages, but these will get you started. They are all stellar.

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Timeout - Dave Brubeck. The concept is the use of odd-time signatures.

Pangaea - Miles Davis. His last fusion release before retirement. Two discs, each comprised of a 40+ minute long song. This is my favorite Miles release. Not for the short attention span crowd or for the "standards" listener.

Blue Train - John Coltrane. Paul Chambers' soloing is incredible, not to mention Trane's sax work. A good listen that isn't too taxing.

4. For the straight-ahead stuff:
    --Bill Evans (please get some Bill Evans / Scott LaFaro on bass -- like Jaco on upright) - Empathy and A Simple Matter of Conviction, Sunday at the Village Vanguard, Waltz for Debby
    --Bob James Trio (newer stuff that I really like) - Take it From the Top (James Genus on Bass)
    --Dave Grusin - Homage to Duke (Brian Bromberg and John Patitucci on bass) listen to Bromberg do "Caravan". Wow!
    --Hampton Hawes Trio - Hampton Hawes Trio, Vol. 1 (Red Mitchell on bass)
    --Harvey Mason - With All My Heart (Dave Carpenter, Eddie Gomez, Larry Grenadier, Charlie Haden, George Mraz, Michael Vilerio, oh yeah, Ron Carter too. Not to mention Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Monty Alexander, Dave Grusin and others on piano - this album is unreal)
    --Herbie Hancock - New Standard (Dave Holland is great on this CD)
    --Lonnie Plaxico Group - Live at Jazz Standard

For the stuff that is a little more on the edge:
    --The Bad Plus - These are the Vista's (If you like Medeski . . . , you will like this)
    --Chick Corea - Now He Sings, Now He Sobs (Miroslav Vitous on bass)
    --Herbie Hancock & the Headhunters - Return of the Headhunters (Paul Jackson is a monster on this album), Evolution Revolution
    --Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, & Tony Williams - Third Plane (Carters tone is sick)

For the Smooth/Junky Jazz stuff that isn't too cheesy:
    --BWB - Groovin' (Christian McBride on bass. This CD is great)
    --George Duke - Face the Music (McBride again) this CD is amazing!!!!
    --Christian McBride - Sci-Fi, A Family Affair (this stuff is really pretty straight ahead)
    --David Sanborn - Timeagain (McBride on bass)
    --Dean Brown - Here
    --Dennis Chambers - Outbreak

THIS SHOULD GET YOU STARTED. THIS IS JUST THE TIP OF THE ICEBERG.

5. classic stuff:
    All of the Miles '2nd Quintet' records (with Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Ron Carter, and Tony Williams) - Miles Smiles, ESP, Nefertiti, etc.

Get some Monk. I live the 'Live at the It Club' disc...there are many others...

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers (1959 - 1961 when Wayne Shorter was leading the band)

newer stuff:
    Charlie Hunter (all)
    Pat Metheny Trio 99->00

6. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sonny Rollins -- A Night at the Village Vanguard. Just tenor saxophone, bass, and drums. Esp. worthwhile are the cuts with Wilbur Ware on bass.

John Coltrane -- Coltrane (the 1962 Impulse! release). This was the great quartet with Elvin Jones on drums, McCoy Tyner on piano, and Jimmy Garrison on bass.

Both of these bass players kept it simple but grooved like mothers. (If Jimmy Garrison had lived, it would be interesting to hear him back up his son, Matt.)

7. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    Yeah, wasn't really sure how to narrow that down in the search category. Thanks Aaron.

Now I just have to find a way to afford all of these suggestions.

8. Any Ray Brown Trio. I like "Live at Starbucks"..

Just a suggestion. Many people don't realize how big of a resource their local library is. You can really find some GREAT jazz recordings there and check them out to listen to, in some cases, for free or just the cost of a library membership.

Check it out....

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    The affording thing is my biggest problem too -- part time at KFC only nets so much, and almost all of it is going towards gear (paying off my DB at the moment -- just sent out $1K for it, another $1K to go...)

The best part is that it doesn't matter which ones you choose from these reccomendations, you can never go wrong.

10. Michel Camilo - Triangulo: Latin flavored jazz that any fan of traditional jazz should enjoy. Horacio Hernandez and Anthony Jackson hold down the rhythm and make this album a must have, IMO.

Michel Camilo - One More Once: Big band at it's best. AJ is present again on this album with Cliff Almond and Marvin "Smitty" Smith holding down the drum chair. With a horn section led by Paquito D'Rivera and Giovanni Hidalgo handling percussion duties, this is another must have in my collection.

I must say that I've also became a fan of Kenny Burrell as of late. Many call him the best jazz guitarist of all time and I can see why. Absolutely amazing playing. I would go to Amazon and listen to some clips to see what I mean.

With All My Heart from Harvey Mason, as it has already been suggested, should be a no-brainer. With the cast included, all questions should end there.

There is so much more, I didn't try to repeat alot of the other great artists and albums that have already been named. The world of jazz is wide open. Jump in!