i need some of your greatness please

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by BOXHEAD, Dec 20, 2001.

Oct 3, 2000
    my band has asked me to come up with some kind of rolling bass line that would fill in between two rather crunchy riffs in our song

I have tried everything that I know to try and come up with somthing and it is either not in scale or just doesn't sound right

could you please give me some ideas on how to come up with a good line that fits please
  2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Boxhead,

not sure how I'm supposed to help you, sadly - not having much of a clue what your band sounds like, what the chords are, or what you are capable of playing...

But here's a suggestion - get the guitarist to record the part, then try and sing a bass part to it, imagine in your head what the ultimate bass part would sound like, then go back and work it out - record what you're singing and then transcribe it.

There are hundreds of ways of approaching writing bass lines, and all the information that you can lay your hands on will help you - books on theory, transcriptions of lines by bassists that you admire, lessons - loads of stuff.

have fun