Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need some older-than-me people bass advice...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RaijohAUlik, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Now, I'm pretty much resolved to get a fretless, and very soon if I can help it, but I want it to be a quality instrument that I'll play for a long time. I got tired of frets fast, but with finals and term papers going on at high school, I've got, oh, $60 in my wallet. I'm planning on getting a job as soon as I can.

That said, can you just recommend different fretless basses that you've played/owned/enjoyed hearing (other than Jaco's Jazz) that I should look into?

Please be serious, I'll be making a list to look up and hunt down where I am.

Thanks for your input.

2. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    MIM Jazz Fretless basses go for around $400 ( once found a used one for $200 ) try these out

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I´ve tried the Godin A4 which is reviewed here on the frontpage of www.talkbass.com

It´s a pretty good fretless I would say, acoustic/electric bass.

Check it out.

4. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    You're gonna have to wait until your wallet gets a little fatter. :D

I'd recommend a Fender MIM as a good value.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Since you don't have a lot of money, I'd like to suggest a fretless from the Yahama BB series. They are excellent fretless basses for the money. Also try a Cort A or B bass fretless. They too, are very good pieces. If money's no object, then I'll suggest a Pedulla MVP or Zon.

6. I'm planning on making money a very small factor. I'm not planning on buying a cheap fretless. I want something that I'll be able to use for a very very very very very very long time, even if I didn't WANT to.

I have a NS2000Q5 and it's OK, for a fretted. ;)

On the other hand of the money scale, I could get this Samick P/J combination at my favorite store, because I've played it, and it's not that bad. I need to play it alot more before I commit to it as well.

That bass is only (ONLY, yeah right, for me?) $369. Is it worth the money? I imagine that not many of you have played it, so shoot around in the dark!

/me is itching for the lack of frets! But /me also doesn't want to waste money on a misadventure into BassLand!

7. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Get a Mike Lull M4V fretless with the Bartolini preamp option. It will be the only fretless you ever buy, unless of course you decide that you need more strings on it. :)

For those who haven't heard/played one of these, imagine a jazz bass on steroids.

8. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Why did you get tired of fretted basses? The answer to this question may help to determine the type of bass that would be best for you. When buying a frettless, I think that the style of music you play and the type of player you are are more important here than with buying a fretted bass. Answers to these questions might also help out, since you've determined that money is not a consideration.

9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Another vote for the Fretless MIM Jazz.Ive seen them used for around $250 in most GC type stores.

10. as a strictly fretless player who has run the gammit, from cheap to way expensive let me give you many words of advice.
    first, of the inexpensive basses, there is nothing wrong with the cort products, including the cort curbow basses. i don't currently own a cort, but have been looking at one of the artist 6 fretless for a back-up.
    the most important thing to remember is to get a hard wood or phenolic fretboard. ebony or purple heart are great for a woody tone, and still wear well. avoid any kind of rosewood, and there are many carrying all kinds of exotic names. the strings wear through them to quickly, and it will buzz horribly( not that that is unusual for a fretless, but this is bad buzz, not good). phenolic is a plastic that is found on cheap basses, and in a different chemical formula on some very expensive basses. it works fab' and has a very good wear life. sam ash music sells a carlo robelli fretless, it only comes in black, and it has no fretline's, only side dots. it sells for like $250.00, and actually sounds and feels great!! it takes a while, but no lines is the best to play, fretlines are a crutch for your eye's, and will chain your eye's to the bass. with no lines you can watch for a while, get used to it, and then start listening to the note's, not watching them.
    i personally have a carbon fiber necked and bodied bogart 5 fretless, and though it gets a little bright sometimes, a little e.q. and self control and nothing sounds better. hope i helped, if you need to know more drop me a line. later, kevin...............................................

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA

Cant go wrong with the jazz.

12. For your input!

I'm going to be checking these basses out eventually.

And to answer JPJ's questions:
    1) I personally feel that frets are restricting and binding, and I don't like them, but far be it for me to say you guys shouldn't use them, and furthermore, I love the fretless sound.

2) I'm aspiring to be a Jazz bassist, because I love the constant originality flowing from the genre.

Does that answer your questions?

13. Tom7

Tom7 I'm so bright, my mom called me son! ;-)

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Money or not, I believe MIM fretless Jazz basses are a good investment. They play well, have respectable tonal variety, and resell well.

I agree with the no fretlines recommendation made earlier too. Not only will you quit watching the notes and start hearing them, but more realistically, you will feel them. After all, when you hear you've plopped your finger down in a wrong spot, it's already too late, right?

I'd recommend (because it works so well for me) that your fretless be very like your fretted bass(ses) if you are going to keep it (them). You can vary pickup configuration and looks, but how it feels in your hands will remain constant. String spacing especially, for me at least, has to be the same.

Having said that, I've often thought I'd like to have a fretless 6 string bass. No, I don't have a fretted 6er; I just like the idea of playing across the neck for runs.

14. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Fellow_Musician,
    Since you're interested in jazz, you might want to look at a Rick Turner Renaissance or a Rob Allen. These basses are well made, light-weight, have the playability, punch, and clarity of an electric, but also can give you the low-end thump of an upright. Otherwise, you might also want to look at a Tobias (Gibson model), Ken Smith, or Pedulla.

15. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i too must suggest a MIM fretless J-bass.

another option, even if it's more than you want to spend (but still a good deal for the $) would be a carvin fretless bolt on. great neck, great construction. about 500 bux though...

16. LennyJ

LennyJ Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Acworth, Georgia
    Go to MARS Music and check out the Cort basses. They make a 4, 5 & 6 fretless. They are very reasonable and play pretty fair also.

17. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I'd definately advise against a Samick. They do have OK construction, but their electronics and pups are really bad, and unlike with a MIM Jazz, it is not easy to find compatible replacements. Another axe you may want to try is Rick Turner Electroline. I have one of these, and I am very happy with it. There are several models, the cheapest of which I have seen for about $850 used, but in great condition.

18. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Although I don't own one, I think the Yamaha basses are real nice especially for their price range.

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    How's it going, Tom7... haven't seen you in a while

;)