Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need some real quick opinions........PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by panic_striken, Dec 25, 2005.

1. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    Ok, if this was your rig would you run an eden 215xlt & nemesis 410nsp @ 4 ohms pushing 425 watts or 2 aguilar s410 cabs @ 2 ohms pushing 600 watts????

2. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    Oh, if this matters the head is a Genz-Benz GBE600 :bassist:

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Even though i dont like how you are spamming the bass forum to get replies, i would use the eden setup at 4 ohms... im not a fan of running things at 2 ohms, and i think 600 watts is a whole lotta uneeded headroom, depends what you need it for though.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, I generally like to give my amps some room, as it tends to allow them to run cooler, which is always a good thing. And, I have always liked Eden stuff. I have little to no experience with GenzBenz.

5. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    it kind of depends on what kinda sound you are looking for. Do you have the ability to try out both situations? Can the Genz-Benz handle a 2 ohm load safely? I would figure that the rig with the 2x15" cab would seem deeper and rounder. Although, Aguilar cabs are noted as boutique and very high end. I'd think the Aggies would have a better resale value if it came to that. And they might even have a better response than the Eden rig. I'm not really familiar with either of these cabs. I believe the Nemisis line is the low end stuff from Eden, so it may not be the better sounding cab. Try to listen to both with your rig...and remember that paying in a store and playing live are way different situations!

6. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    Thanks, Fig :smug: Sorry, 'bout the forum abuse, but it's kind of a split second decision thing. I have a chance to get the eden rig pretty cheap, but I gotta let the guy know real soon.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I didn't think about the aggies... Maybe the Genz is the way to go... It would be a more valuable rig to barter with if it didn't suit your needs. Then again, we have no idea what kinf of basses you are using, or what type of music you're playing.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Where are you playing, Madison Square Garden? Playing garages, local clubs, wherever, you don't need anywhere near two big cabs.
    A 215 and a 410 together is ridiculous. It makes one think you may have a small wee wee and are trying to make up for it. Oh..and your cabs aren't "pushing" any wattage. That is the rated wattage handling, which usually isn't accurate anyway.

9. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Don't know Aguilar cabs, but I like Eden and cheap. Also like 15s. So I'd go with that. I wouldn't worry about the 2 ohm load of the other setup though. I used my GBE 600 for a year at 2 ohms.

10. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    Well, we play alot of outdoor gigs in the spring/summer. Plus I like how 15's round out the bottom end and the 410 will add clarity to the highs. I don't have to crank the volume if we are playing small. Plus, it makes me look important :p

11. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    Oh, and I play an active model Warwick Corvette w/ Aero type 1 pups and a Michael Kelly Dragonfly Rose. Now, the music is mostly a modern radio rock like Stained or Fuel. Oh, the two basses are 4 bangers.

12. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Don't sweat the Rig Police. They haven't beaten my door down in the middle of the night and hauled me off to a "readjustment" facility yet and I've used big cabs for years. Go ahead and use what you like. It's your money, your band, your back. Whatever makes you happy.

I don't think we need to go into the big rig = compensating for deficiencies in other areas insults. That isn't tolerated when talking about the number of strings on one's bass, it shouldn't be tolerated when talking about the number of speakers in one's rig.

Let's assume the worst, and the big rig ends up being hated by everyone except the bassist: soundmen, band, even audience. Soon enough the bassist will realize it, or he and his big rig will be bandless and gigless. Natural selection. On the other hand, it could and likely will work fine, he seems to realize the function of the "volume" knob.

Not too long ago I had 8 10s and 4 15s. Never gigged with it. Come and get me, Coppers, I'm ready for yas.

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Extenze anyone? :hyper: :D

14. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    That's nice. And called for.

And I had to Google that to get the insult. I didn't know what it was.

15. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    I'm not putting down Eden, but you should maybe be aware that some Eden cabinets have lower impedances than what they say, especially if you are going to run more than one.

16. is there a reliable way to test the actual ohms of a cab without a bunch of expensive equipment? Tho if it wasn't much lower, and the amp goes to 2 ohms, it should be OK just be careful about adding any more cabs after that.

17. WE'RE HERE!!!! (the guys from the bass forum)

18. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Ummm....source?

[​IMG]

19. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I couldn't imagine needing more than a single 410 cabinet....Eden or Aguilar. If so, you need a larger amp that can really put to use the cabs full potential.

I've played my Eden 410 on several outdoor gigs and literally blew away the rest of my band....

Use what you like, but I'm just sharing my opinion and experience and trying to save you a little bit of cash. :)

20. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    We buy and test competitor equipment, just like any other company, and have found this to be true on some Eden cabinets.

The sources are test reports from my colleagues.