1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need some relief

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by spots, Apr 14, 2006.

1. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    I recently did my first truss adjustment on my lakie 55-02. The first 5-6 frets buzzed when i lowered the action and when i fretted the 1st and 17th fret on the A string (gary willies style) the string sat on the frets. So, I turned the truss a 1/8th turn counterclockwise (the truss nut is above the pickups near the neck joint) and let it sit for 3 days. The truss was difficult to turn at first but then went smoothly. After the first day i gained about 3/4 of a business card's thickness of relief but on the third day the A string once again sat on the frets when i fretted the A string at 1 and 17.

My question is: Am I doing the right thing? Should I make another adjustment in the same way? I don't want to do irrepairable damage...

{edit} just a note: after i did the truss adjustment i tuned the bass back to pitch and let it sit. Could the string tension be a problem?