Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need some serious bass help :(!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Milo182, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Milo182

Milo182

Nov 22, 2004
    Ok and bass pros who know alot about bass guitars and stuff.. i would like to know where you guys get your accesorries such as

- Bass Capos
    - A cordless adapter for a bass (and the cord from that to the adapter)
    - Pic Bags on a strap
    - String Stuff to make the strings much easier to glide

anyone who knows alot about bass' i need some serious help.

2. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    I have a normal Guitar capo that works fine for my bass.

3. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    out of curiosity who uses bass capos?

4. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    I've never used it for anything, I just figured i'd try it out. It fit pretty well.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Moved to Misc as it deals pretty much with accessories rather than basses.

Ryan

6. Ok... use GHS fast fret, just go down to your local GC and get that... but as for the otherstuff, you could probably get that crap from GC too... as for a bass capo... why?

7. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas

Ok, forget the GC first. Try your LOCAL music store first ;) They should have everything on this list.

And maybe the capo is when he detunes he can quickly put his bass back to standard for a song or two?

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Get a 5-string or die.

9. Hey, I have seen Richard Bona use a capo when he played with Bobby McFerrin. So its not pointless. He was doing some really cool chordal stuff.

10. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

What is a bass Capo?

Is that like "capo de tutti tutti' ...?

Sounds like one a'dem Groom Lake guys to me ... ;)

They must be Lakland guys ....

11. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Heh, are you threatning me? :eek:

12. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    They don't make bass-specific capos. A guitar capo will work just fine. BTW, you are getting the response you are getting because bass players rarely use capos.

Wireless units are a huge topic of discussion. I highly recommend doing a search here on TalkBass and read what many people have written about the various wireless units that are available.

Any music store will have this stuff which again isn't bass specific.

Guitarists use this stuff more than bass players, but any music store can help you.

13. Milo182

Milo182

Nov 22, 2004
    ok all i need help with now is a adapter.. does anyone have pics , no any sites/dealers who sell em or anything about these things ?

14. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Type the word "wireless" in the search engine here. You will find countless postings about different wireless units. There are many to choose from and each has its advantages and disadvantages. This is just one of those times when YOU need to do your research.

15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    As for the use of a capo on a bass -- I've used one numerous times. It really opens up a lot of possibilities for harmonics and tapping stuff. If you've got uber-low action, you'll probably notice a lot of string buzzing -- this happens on my fretless.

16. Raven

Raven

Nov 14, 2004
    Jacksonville, Fl
    A capo on bass gives you different open strings. For instance, on a 6-string, put it at your 3rd fret, you now have open D, G, C, F, Bb, & Eb. It gives you open roots with chording in the upper register in keys which would not have open strings on a standard tuned bass.

17. Reason I sometimes use a capo is when I'm playing in church with my group, the acoustic guitar players use capos when the song calls for it, and it's easier to use a capo to stay in the same key as them, especially if I decide to play chords.

Sometimes I also find it easier to play an F by placing the capo at the 3rd fret and playing an open "D" string, rather than actually fretting it. (I'm really lazy sometimes)

Plus, being that bassists who use capos are few and far between, I like some of the strange looks I get...