Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need some string suggestions...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FunkSlap89, Aug 31, 2005.

1. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I'm looking to get some strings in the near future. They'd be for my 4 string Warwick Fortress Masterman. I want strings that are fairly on the bright side, roundwound, but still warm enough to be used in jazz bands and stuff like that. I play a lot of slap, funk, rock, punk (a little), and jazz. What would you guys suggest.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    D'addario XL Rounds. Cheapest set of strings in the store usually, and exactly what you describe.

3. For what you are doing I would suggest Nickel roundwounds, stainless steel roundwounds are brighter sounding than nickel, but some players think they are too bright and sound harsh. Nickels are also a little easier on the fingerboard and fingers.

Stings are a very personal choice though, one mans harshness is another sparkle. Plus with all the brands to choose from there are large variations in stainless and nickel. So you really have to just start trying out different strings to you find what you are looking for.

The DR brand is very popular hear and make some great sets. I am going through the same thing right now and have two sets on order. I have a Fodera set coming and a set of La Bella Slappers on the way. Both in nickel.

Do a search on some brand names here, you will find plenty of opinions.
    Plus check out some of the stickies, in the FAQ section there are some links you should check out.

4. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Thanks for the replies...

I heard great things about the DR Sunbeams from one of the links in the FAQ section. Has anyone ever tried them? They seem to be exactly what i'm looking for. Nickel strings, good for slappin', still fairly mellow... anyone?