I need some urgent help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Guss, Mar 30, 2003.

1. I have a problem. I was chewing nine pieces of bubble gum yesterday(I have a tad of Obsesive compulsive disorder). Anyway, one thing lead to another and now I have gum all over the strings and frets of my bass. Seriously this sucks. Is there a safe way to get this off. I don't wanna tell anybody I know yet, because it's a Roscoe I just got with help from my parents. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!:)
  2. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well I'll send it over to setup!!
  3. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Is there a full moon tonight?

If your bass has a rosewood board you may have a problem.

Get the gum as cold as you can with an ice cube wrapped in Saran wrap and you may be able to remove it with something made of wood, like a popsicle stick.

Whatever you do, don't use a solvent like alcohol on a rosewood board or you'll drive the gum into the pores of the wood.

If you have a maple neck use a little alcohol and keep changing to a clean part of the cloth as you clean the board.

Change to new strings.

Which brings up the question............ Oh, never mind.

By the way, under NO circumstances remove the truss rod and replace it with BBs

4. cthesick

Sep 12, 2002
    lawton OK
    go to walmart or somewhere similar and get some "GOO GONE" It comes in a spray bottle and have an orange color to it... its citrus powered so i'm not sure how the acidity will affect your quality of your strings. Also, it smells really strong of oranges, so you better like oranges. works good for other things, I don't know why it wouldn't work for your bass.

I'm not completly sure about this because I can't chew bubblegum, stand and play my bass at the same time, I'd probably trip, fall, and break my neck and die... maybe two out of three but playing bass while lying down and chewing bubblegum probably wouldn't be good because i'd probably choke on the gum and die. . . so i pretty much stay away from gum.

oh yea, i usually have an urge to drink the GOOGONE because it smells really like oranges so if you feel your going to have a tad of obsesive compulsive disorder again then the orange drink and gum remover might not be for you... :meh:
  5. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida

What?! ;)

I would try the ice cube trick as well.
  6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Truss rods filled with BBs? Gum on fingerboards?

My how we've regressed. :)

7. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    The Googone stuff probably will remove the gum but The only thing I've actually used it on was to remove dried adhesive from adhesive tape.

It liquified the adhesive and if it liquifies the bubble gum it may go into the pores of a rosewood board. A bubblegum pink stain may be kind of ugly on a rosewood board.:)
    On the other hand, it may work great.

And,yes, we do seem to have regressed. :):)

8. *hangs head* my my my. In fact i will put this as quote of the week. lol

9. I heard people also use peanut butter to get rid of gum in clothes (NO JOKE!)

Might work
  10. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Put it on ebay and advertise it as having been owned and played by the "Doublemint Gum Twins". (You'll have to be at least 40 to have any idea what I'm talking about here). You'll sell the bass to some guy in a foreign land who collects American TV trivia items, for HUGE dollars. Buy a NEW bass and then give up chewing gum.

There ya go......simple.......and the American Way.

RB :)
  11. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Good to know that "The American Way" still means screwing over foreigners. :D
  12. You got bubble gum on a roscoe....

Does anyone else find that extremely sad/disturbing?
  13. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    are you kidding me? i've thought i heard it all untill this,mabe if you forked out ALL money you would be a little more carefull,i'm not trying to be a d!@k
    but come-on dude gum all over your bass! it shows your appreciation and value of your things,you should be playing a rougue 79.00 bass, please be more carefull,myself and others on this post have or had basses worth 1 tenth of this bass and have taken better care of it:confused:
  14. Hey(insert expletive name here), I have Obsesive Compulsive Disorder!! It's not easy. You don't have it, so don't pretend like you know whats going on. Sometimes I have to wash my cat a dozen times each day. It's not cool. Maybe you should be a little more respectful of other peoples feelings. :mad: :mad:
  15. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Con.......the "American Way" leans heavily towards screwing over EVERYONE....without any extra "screwation factor" being aimed at foreigners.

Terry..........please understand that 99% of the folks in here have no clue as to the meaning of OCD. I do.........but don't take any flack personally. Nobody is coming down on you for something you have no control over.

16. Okay, sorry if this comes off mean at all, that's not the way I want it to be.

How'd you get the gum on the bass in the first place? I know you have OCD, but I can't seem to make the connection... :confused:

It's an honest question, I really do want to know.
  17. DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    geez... i just worked out the BB's comment!! :eek:

DC :)
  18. i do. my brother had it.

19. odie

odie Supporting Member

My ex step father had it. Washing your cat a dozen times?? That my friend is inhumane unless it likes it.
  20. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    look little one, i am a recovering addict and a conselor for addicts as well, and 99 % of addicts and alcoholics have compulsive behavior, me included,and i admit mine is not as bad as yours but i CAN relate to what you are going through,
    and i dont appreciate your tone of words,
    if you were a little more descriptive of your issues i would'nt have said what i did, i do not get off on making fun of people with dis-abilities.
    if you write on an open forum that you got 9 pieces if gum stuck on your bass what kind of reaction were you expecting? grow up and get off the pity pot, you will only grow from it
    and please note i am not into discussing this kind of material on an open forum and are in no way inviting feedback on the disease if addiction,alcoholism, if you wpould like to talk about it or debate it mail me privetly:D
    thanks ADAM N