Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need someone...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Bessie, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Bessie

Bessie

Aug 11, 2002
    Vancouver,Canada
    Can anyone here tell me or give me tips on how to properly tune my bass. I have a 4 string with frets. It's my beautiful new bass. I'm still learning how to play and so far I've taught myself everything I know. But tuning is the one thing I can't quite learn myself. I *HATE* tuners with a passion. I would be really grateful if anybody could help me out.

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    You need to get an external sound source to give you the right pitch (guitar, piano, tuning pipes, tuning notes from a teaching aid or magazine CD like Guitarist mag).

Tune the strings from thick to thin E A D G.

Having got one string in say E you can tune the bass to itself by the following methods.

Play the E string at the fifth fret and then play the open A, tune the A string to match the E. Just keep going up, A 5th fret to D string etc.

Play a harmonic on the E string at the fifth fret and match it to a harmonic on the A string at the seventh fret. Then go up A string 5th fret to D string 7th fret etc.

NB A harmonic is the term for a false harmonic, which is obtained on a string instrument by lightly touching the string instead of pressing the string against the fret. After plucking the string in the normal manner remove the fretting (or not in this case) finger.

If I might give a less objective observation, find a tuner you hate the least and learn to love it.

3. Bessie

Bessie

Aug 11, 2002
    Vancouver,Canada
    Thank you. You were a huge help. I just tried that and I didn't realize how ot of tune it was. My friend had just tuned it for me a while back and I had tampered with all but one string(thank god). It's now back to where it was. Now I just need to firgure out how to tune it for different things. (i.e. Drop D, etc.)

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
  5. In my opinion you should invest in an e-tuner. Tuning by ear when you are playing by yourself is ok, but if you are off it is going to be hard to figure out songs and the like.

Also, even the greatest players use e-tuners when playing live, or in studios, or in a practice situation. My teacher who is a seasoned jazz upright player ALWAYS uses an e-tuner when playing out. You can't afford to be off.

Later on-
    K.

6. i use it for so much. its just a cheap little fender chromatic but im using it to learn what frets on what string play which note. it helps so much. i suggest buying one

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    do not fear the tuner. embrace the tuner. know the tuner. recognize what the tuner can do for you.

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    ...uhhh.... help you tune your bass? :D

9. Don't you find it annoying if you ask your parent's where your tuner is and they crack some reeeeally lame joke about tuna fish grrrrr..............

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    for a yoga practicioner, you sure are missing the _wholeness_ and _oneness_ that i'm going after here, jon. :rolleyes:

think _outside_ the tuner box, man. _outside_ the box.

where's phil?

11. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    seattle
    don't fear the tuner

seasons don't fear the tuner, nor do the wind, the sun and the rain..

12. Actually, it'd be alright if you feared the wind, rain and sun. The wind might tear down your house, the rain may cause flash floods, and the sun could give you massive sunburn. ;)

But the tuner won't hurt you, unless you hurt it, I know cause I dropped mine once, and it began pummeling me.

13. wow, you must live in some wierd world where tuners pummel people, or your tuner is just a big guy with an ability for tuning instuments...

14. My Boss TU-2 is my favorite pedal of all time :) I think its going to be the only pedal I use on stage at our first show, too. Makes a great mute, and a great tuner to boot <g>

15. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

0h my that struck me as too funny, family looked at me like Im a kook when I busted out laughin.

16. Doesn't Libster have one of those tuners where you click what string note your tuning and it plays it through your speakers? I've heard Libster is down lately though. Look for it there, Bessie.

17. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Really explore the studio space with the tuner. Use all the space. Get in touch with your tuner.

18. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    You're welcome :D

Gwon

19. I thanked you profusely, you! :)

And just in case I didn't, thanks for the tip on the SansAmp too! :D