Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need something really hard

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by tekhna, Feb 21, 2005.

1. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Something to work on, something to work up to. I play mostly fingerstyle, but hit me with whatcha got!

2. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    If 6 was 9 by Henndrix.
    Au Leu Cha by Coltrane & Davis

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

If you really want to do this ( :meh: ) - then why not try the two recent requests near the top of this forum - one was for Porcupine Tree - which should be pretty hard ....I think the other was RHCPs ?

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Primus- American Life. I can't figure the beat out to that to save my soul. I know the notes, but the beat is soooo damn wierd. I'm pretty sure that's played Flamenco style. Check out Welcome to This World by Primus too.

5. Wizeguy262

Wizeguy262

Feb 16, 2005
    Stanley Clarke- School days. It's really easy at first but then it gets damn near impossible at the end. That should keep you busy for a while.

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Here's a few good songs

Opeth - Black Rose Immortal
    Charles Mingus - Haitian Fight Song
    Rush - Leave That Thing Alone
    Sade - The Sweetest Taboo
    Umprey's McGee - In The Kitchen
    Les Claypool - The Awakening

7. Porcupine Tree is great.. (Have you seen'em live, bruce?)

The bass player performs some powerful yet gentle grooves along with the drummer in very particular time signatures to keep in touch with the leader's melodies, in a very subtle way.. They´re just awesome..

But without too much search, I would recommend you playing Jaco's Teen Town.

8. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
  9. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    That's what my wife said last night :eek: :D :rollno:

10. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    YYZ by Rush

11. Like said b4 Primus- american life is wierd, also try Is it luck? by primus, I can't play that correctly for the life of me,
    or try Slang by jaco p.
    maxwell murderer by rancids a fun one too

12. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    you might want ot make an attempt at 'pigs(three different ones)' by pink floyd, as far as I can tell it has more of a jammieness rather than a carfully structured bassline, I should take a while to get teh whole thing down from beginin to end

13. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Wish you were here - Pink Floyd

I've been trying to learn it for the past week and I just get frustrated.

14. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I can mention lots of technically difficult things, but there's one I want to suggest, not because its physical problems, but because it's an excellent exercise for the memory IMO: The guitar-bass solo from Extreme's "Cupid's Dead". I felt it as a big achievement when I could memorize it note-for-note. And the whole tune is great. Check it out! :bassist:

15. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    All that stuff is great, but if you really want to bust your chops and give your technique a serious workout in precision and stamina, learn some Tower of Power stuff. Also, +1 on Teen Town.

16. AmplifyYourBass

AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    Country Music by Stu Hamm.

I HATE country music, but this song (which is just a bass solo, really) is SO awesome (and very challenging)!

17. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Put the metronome on 40 bpm and play perfect quarter notes.
    (duration and attack)

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Wanna know what's hard? Learning to not use tab...

sorry :D , but it is tricky, try figuring some stuff out by ear, it's very rewarding.

19. +1

20. squierplayer120

squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004
    Wisconsin
    stole my thunder.
    anyway, a lot of early green day's good, and fall back down by rancid as well