1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

i need speed

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by modulus603, Mar 22, 2006.

1. modulus603

modulus603

Mar 17, 2006
    The ring finger on my left hand is really slow , every time i play chromatics i end up playin the fourth note twice because the third one doesnt respond.:help:does that make any sense?

Also when picking with right hand i use the two finger technique without any great speed. any exercises for speed?

2. MarztekMilita

MarztekMilita

Feb 10, 2005
    Pinole
    Basicly, all you need to do is to keep playing, and gradully youll get your finger speed up to your desired speed. And try the search engine here, you'll find all the info that you could want.
    Peace!

3. Slow down to speed up. Playing fast and making the same mistake over and over again will just train your muscle memory to keep making the mistake.

Play the progression you are practising extremely slowly and watch your fingers carefully. Pay careful attention to the tension in your hand and to every movement. Try to relax as much as possible.

Notice what is happening right before you try to play the note that you usually miss. Is a finger pulling away from the next note while you are playing the note that preceeds it? Is your shoulder or your hand tensing right before you miss the note? Is your thumb not shifting properly when you move up or down a string?

To correct whatever problem you find, please try relaxing and making the ideal motions slowly. Practice playing it perfectly, very slowly. If you feel a finger pulling away or some unwanted tension - stop, relax and let your hand fall into the proper position. Practice moving into and holding that position in a very relaxed manner repeatedly and then go back to playing the passage very slowly.

The above will train your muscle memory to make the proper movements and reduce the chance that you will reinforce the movements and tensions that have been getting in your way.

I am currently using the above practice techniques to undo a lot of bad habits I learned by banging my head against the wall and making the same mistakes over and over again. It is time consuming and requires paying close attention to both playing motions and bodily sensations but seem to be yielding results for me.

Info on this type of practice method can be found at Jamie Andreas' site guitarprinciples.com - seventhson on this forum sent me over there and it may be the most important thing that has happened for my playing in years.

Peace,
    S

4. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Couldn't agree more. I have made this mistake.

Go for accuracy first, then build speed.

5. modulus603

modulus603

Mar 17, 2006

i think i got what i wanted thanks

6. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    After you got the accuracy,playing fast songs really helps (at least with me!!),something like old school Metallica stuff would work!You keep up with the drums,guitars,accurate fast playing... :bassist: