Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need string preserving tips.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dysandean, Jun 17, 2001.

1. Dysandean

Dysandean Guest

Does anyone know any tips I could use to keep my strings clean and last longer? I am going poor from buying all the time.

2. Wash your hands every time before playing. This gets rid of some of the oils, dirt and dead skin cells that build up on your fingertips and would otherwise get transferred to the strings. Make the washing a ritual before handling your bass because, hey, the instrument deserves to be handled with only the purest of hands.

3. I've heard on the board that dipping your fingers in baking soda will help to neutralize that acid in your sweat so that it won't hurt your strings as much.

4. My strings last me a couple months and all I do is wash my hands before playing and wipe my bass and strings off after playing.

Once a week or so I take a clean rag and wet it with rubbing alcohol and rub my strings down with it. Then I take a clean, dry cloth and dry the strings off really good. This "re-news" them to a certain extent.

5. Dysandean

Dysandean Guest

Thanks for all the help and keep them coming. I need all the help I can get.

6. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Play your Maracas instead. :)

7. You could of course, boil your strings. Although not everybody seems to think that's such a good idea. But it might help.

8. Dysandean

Dysandean Guest

I was wondering how do you boil strings? Do you just put them in boiling water?

Please keep the tips comming!!!

9. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Read the post on String Boilers Anonymous. There is a tip on using denatured alcohol to soak them in. I'm gonna try it. Boiling is messy and a pain in the butt and doesn't last that long. Or try some Elixir strings. They're a little more expensive but they are supposed to last 3-5 times longer. Of course don't soak or boil Elixir strings as they have a coating on them. Hope this helps.

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No water!!! :rolleyes:

Grooveguru's right. Alcohol, turnpentine, etc. is the stuff to use. put it in there over night.
    I haven't changed my strings for more than 10 month, still wootenesque crispiness and brilliance.

11. Dysandean

Dysandean Guest

I soaked my strings in rubbing alcahol and they came out great. Thanks for all the help you guys.

How long cane I keep soaking them untill I need to buy new ones??

Keep the help comming!!!