1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need strings that last

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Joel951, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Joel951

Joel951

Oct 27, 2011
    Okay. I need your advice guys about this matter. I am not a gigging musician and so I need to find a good set of strings that would last for atleast a year or two. (I am not into flats because I love to play slap bass)

What can you recommend?

my bass is a yamaha trb 1006 bass (6 string)

2. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Elixir

3. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Another for Elixir

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Flats

5. Joel951

Joel951

Oct 27, 2011
    oh okay. . are elixirs better than DR extra life strings?

6. Flats. People keep them on for decades.

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Definitely a coated string if you want that bright roundwound sound, or as others have said flats will last forever but have a dull/dead sound.

Elixir's are coated, but the coating will fray within a few months...kinda defeats the purpose. They also cost twice as much as some other strings...also defeats the purpose.

I would go with DR Extra Lifes, or Dragon Skins if you want a brighter, punchier sound.
    D'Addario coated strings are good too, and cost less...but I prefer DR.
    Coated Round Wound Electric Bass Strings from Bass Strings Online

8. If you want non-coated, get DRs. If you want coated, get coated DRs. ;-)

(Although Elixirs have excellent life as well with great consistency of tonal character.)

9. My Nickle-plated Rotosound Swing 66's have lasted me over two years and counting. I'm not sure what your playing style is, but these seem to be rather versatile, though they "dull" a bit faster than usual and can be a little sticky at first. But by the use of the word "dull" I mean they get warmer and less clanky, which I really like myself.

10. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    DR strings. Word is that their rounds outlast every other string manufacturer out there. Can't last a year, but they should do for a month or two. My advice is to buy 3-5 sets of your favorite rounds and keep a constant rotation of them by soaking the old ones in alcohol-filled mason jars after boiling (cleaning) them. You will never have to spend money on another set of strings after this - unless you find another favorite brand - even then just rinse and repeat.

11. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    D'Addario----I had a set that was over 25 yrs old until they finally bit the dust.

12. There are two factors that determine string life, generally. One is something you can change (although I'm picking you wont), and that is slapping. Slapping is pretty hard on strings, in particular the E.
    The second factor is your body's ph factor (acidity/alkilinty). The sweat and oil in some people kills strings rapidly. I know a guy who kills a set of strings in a two hour concert. I'm the opposite, my strings are 12 years old, and I'm gigging maybe 80-90 gigs a year.
    There is no magic bullet, you'll just have to live with it.

13. Joel951

Joel951

Oct 27, 2011
    oh okay. thanks for the link. . i might go with the black beauties

14. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    You may also want to look into carrying around a cleaning cloth of some kind to atleast wipe down the strings after you play. There are also a lot of string cleaning products you could start trying. These don't really work well for coated strings however...

15. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I can see DR neons lasting up to 6 months for me. Though only left them on for max of 5 and half months so far before doing new set. I dont like elixers, mids and overtones are wrong to me. I'm not a fan of their feel either. And they do go fuzzy fluffy after awhile.