Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need studio monitors

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ManuelJG, Jun 17, 2005.

1. I'm getting studio monitors and I have $750, which ones should I get, does anyone knows which ones are the best for my budget?
    thanks

2. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    How big is your room? How close or far you like to sit from the speakers. The proper alignment to get the sweet spot which is a triangle so the distance between L & R speaker should be the same as between you and the speakers.

Are you looking for passive + amp set up or Active wiht built in amps.

Nest question what type of music genre? If it's RNB or Hip Hop wiht lots of low end, or classical with more top end and clarity.

Cheers

3. :D
    I spent about the same amount on a set of KRK powered monitors. 8in bass/mid, 1in tweet. Dual amped. They're not "pro" gear for sure, at that price, but they sound great as near field studio monitors.

dg

4. i was thinking about the KRK, are they 6in. or 8in. ??? i was also thinking about tapco, but i havent decided yet

5. Herkimer

Herkimer

Dec 10, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    I have a pair of Krk Monitors and they sound pretty good for the price - I got them for $329. I got the Rocket 5's. It's a powered monitor that's rated at about 75 watts with 100 watt peaks. They thump. But...

I really wished I bought Alesis Studio One monitors. My band has a pair at our studio. They really sound great and really have a flatter response than the Rockets. (At least to my ears.) If you really search high and low, you should be able to find a pair for $300. However, they're not powered so expect to spend another $200 on a stereo power amp.

I'm not sure and would like to hear other opinions, but, I think the Alesis Studio Ones have become a studio standard just like the Yamaha NS series. I see both pairs in pictures of high end studios all the time.

6. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Check into the Wharfdale Diamond Pro moniters--I have the 6 in. models, and I like them more than any other in the price range I've heard. They're flat like a dead man's heartbeat, and loud enough to resuscitate it, if you need those kind of SPL's.

7. KRK Rokits come in various sizes......I got the 8inch x 1inch, powered at 90watts each. They sit about 30inches high on a counter in the studio.......listening about 6-8ft away.

Cheers!

8. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    For the price (~$300), I like the Fostex PM series monitors. I own a pair of the PM 0.5s and they have nice bass response are loud enough, and a flat sound.