1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need suggestions for a true-bypass overdrive for my precision

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Strikebass, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Strikebass

Strikebass

Oct 16, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    That's it. I found that the ebs overdrive is true bypass, though I'm planning to get an ebs compressor (I was told it's great) and I want to get some different brand for the OD

2. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    B3K?

3. What sort of overdrive? I fond my catalinbread SCOD does nicely

4. Strikebass

Strikebass

Oct 16, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    I'm looking for a good-quality, classic-sounding overdrive. It has to be true bypass. I'll look up those you guys wrote

5. The best of the best that I have tried for a classic OD is the Wounded Paw Black Sheep.
    I have a Darkglass Vintage on pre-order though, and I have high hopes for that too.

6. Strikebass

Strikebass

Oct 16, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    What about the catalinbread SFT?

Hamfist I think that pedal is a little above my funds... but it must be great...

7. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    The SFT is a great pedal if you like the Ampeg sound. It has a nice range from clean and warm to tasty break up to heavy drive. I've got one for sale in the classifieds :)

8. A fuzzrocious DD or mellowtone singing tree will get you there

9. Hardwire CM-2. Amazing with a P Bass.

10. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    This. Can't touch the Hardwire without spending twice as much. They go for around $75 used.

11. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    I LOVE the sound of a Fulltone OCD on my P-Bass.
    Throw in a clean blend and thats my favorite OD tone.

12. Strikebass

Strikebass

Oct 16, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    is the cm-2 true bypass? I like the look of it

13. Jason Hall

Jason Hall

Jun 21, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Just picked up a joyo ultimate drive, ocd clone... sounds great with the pbass. Nice fat overdrive sound. You can pick one up for around $40 so why not? :D

14. Strikebass

Strikebass

Oct 16, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    Well, both compressor and overdrive are not exactly the kind of pedals I want to go cheap with. I've learned with harley benton that cheap = **** in most cases, so I'd like to get a good overdrive. If cheap is possible then great :D

My possibilities are:

boss odb3 (which is not true bypass as far as I know)
    ibanez tube screamer (don't know if it's t bypass)
    cm-2 (this is a serious option, although my though is that it can't be as good as the 150€-worth ones, can it?)

any other suggestions for a true bypass overdrive not over 160 € new?

PS i just found the mxr m89. What about it?

15. GTBASS

GTBASS

Sep 16, 2004
    Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, first version(with DRIVE in blue lettering on a gray pedal)--absolute true bypass(mine passed a signal when it didn't have a power supply plugged into it!) and pretty darn transparent. It's got more bass than a Bad Monkey and it can be had for REALLY cheap. Also plays well with my active basses. TRY ONE OUT!