I need suggestions for recording bass on a Zoom multitrack recorder?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Timpala, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Timpala

Timpala

Nov 13, 2011
    IOWA
    Be patient with me. I have some home recording experience (Tascam 4 track tape) :), but have been mostly at the mercy of the studio engineer when recording albums.

I am looking to record my band. We are not a serious touring band so it doesn't have to be big studio quality. I am looking at a Zoom R16 or R24 digital recorder. This leads me to my questions.

1) What is the best way to record the bass on a small digital recorder? I was thinking a Bass DI such as the MXR M-80. Good bass mics are very pricey, but would get one if needed. We will all be playing live in the same room. My thought is that if I recorded bass through a DI, it would be easier to mix the recording?

2) Are the Zoom recorders any good? Or good enough for somewhat easy live band recording? Any other suggestions are welcome.

3) Would a bass DI be better for recording bass on Garage Band than just plugging in to the computer and using their EQ settings?

Like I said, I am new to home recording. Keep it stupid simple for me please. I appreciate it.

2. 1) The bass DI would give you more control, but make sure you have a good compressor otherwise the DI signal will be all wonky and you might not like your tone.

2) The Zoom recorders are ok, but I'd recommend going with a good compression pedal instead of spending money on a recorder, especially if you already have Garageband as you mentioned in #3.

3) You can get some ok bass sounds from the stock Garageband stuff. The M80 has some good sounds too though...its really all about what compressor pedal you use.

3. Register_To_Disable

4. Timpala

Timpala

Nov 13, 2011
    IOWA
    i am pretty sure I can add compression after recording on Garage Band. I was kind of looking for something portable to record with. With the Zoom, I can record the tracks and then import them to Garage Band or any other mixing software. This is my theory anyway. I know that they make an individual track plug in for Garage Band, but have heard bad reviews.