Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need sum suggestions for a good bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheJimster, Mar 17, 2006.

1. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    hey guys,

I'm in the process of setting aside a budget for a new bass. I need some help on picking a good depenant model of a 5-string bass. I've asked for assistance at my local music shops and they really dont' know what to tell me. I also want this bass to have not too much distortion but to have a more Grunge-Metal sound. I also want the bass to be slap freindly. I need it to stay within a budget of 300 - 1000$. If you ahve any suggestions or model designs try to give me a pic or website link. Thanx

2. you may want to look into a used warwick. i dont know about grunge metal but they got seriuos low end.

3. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    +1

4. The Spector Basses seem to be a fav. of a lot of the heavier band's bass players... Check their site and see the list of performers who use Spectors. And they have a wide variety of models that fall within your range. Have a look.

http://www.spectorbass.com/

--tz

5. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    Thanx for the Spector suggestion I really like the Mike Kroeger designed model!

6. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

Please note - While different basses do have different natural sounds, you will not find any bass that puts out a distorted signal. The bass should sound clean, the distortion sound will come from either the amp or a distortion peddle. If you were asking the guys in the local stores for a bass that had a nice distortion sound to it, that might be why they didn't know what to say.

With that said - There is something about your post that screams "Ibanez" I would suggest you check out Ibanez basses, they make a wide range from beginner to pro models.

7. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Bryson

Quote:
    Originally Posted by slipknotz
    I also want this bass to have not too much distortion but to have a more Grunge-Metal sound.

Please note - While different basses do have different natural sounds, you will not find any bass that puts out a distorted signal. The bass should sound clean, the distortion sound will come from either the amp or a distortion peddle. If you were asking the guys in the local stores for a bass that had a nice distortion sound to it, that might be why they didn't know what to say.

With that said - There is something about your post that screams "Ibanez" I would suggest you check out Ibanez basses, they make a wide range from beginner to pro models.

Ibanez is a good suggestion and most of their guitars are on my pending list. And you're right a bass really doesn't have a normal Grunge-Metal sound to it. But I was sure that their was a series of basses that produced a natural distorted sound to it. But hey maybe not.

8. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    Ibanez is a good suggestion and most of their guitars are on my pending list. And you're right a bass really doesn't have a normal Grunge-Metal sound to it. But I was sure that their was a series of basses that produced a natural distorted sound to it. But hey maybe not.

9. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

No. All basses produce a "clean" sound. The basic sound can vary depending on a number of factors - what types of wood or composite materials are used in construction, what types of strings the bass is strung with (round wound and flat wounds are two completely different animals) ...and so on - but they all make a "clean sound" ...distortion comes from overdriving a tube amp (working it extra hard and it starts to distort) ...or more often these days, from a distortion peddle or a special distortion channel on the pre amp section of the amplifier. The same holds true for other "effects" that might be used with bass, such as Chorus, or reverb, or delay or any variation from the basic "clean sound". I'd recommend that you find a bass that you feel is comfortable, and has a good basic tone that is pleasing to your ears and then later shop for effects pedals that get the sound you want. if you're still shopping for an amp, look for an amp with a built in overdrive channel. I played a little GK Backline head with an overdrive channel a while back and it was way more fun than it's price tag suggested it should be.:D

10. bassistjo

bassistjo

Jun 22, 2005
    Fender Jazz 5

11. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    Tahnx for teh suggestions

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Lakland Skyline 55-01

13. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    On the GK- my combo is a GK (the 1X15) with a really nice OD channel on it. I'd say that'd be a good way to go amp-wise.

Anyway, that wasn't the question, was it?:p I actually thought Ibanez, too. I think of modern model, I think either Warwick or Ibanez.