Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i need TB feedback with help on yet another choice...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adrian garcia, Dec 26, 2002.

1. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i just love consulting with you guys!!- hope everyoone had a great Christmas-- heres the new dilemma:
    George Furlanetto of F Basses has been building me a beautiful buckeye top F bass fiver- its is almost ready.. i am very excited, however, being in business, but first and foremost a bass player, and having received offers on the buckeye bass, i must decide if i want to sell it, and make profit ( i am a dealer) - and take this gorgeous figured maple top sixer- or pass on the profit and keep the buckeye five-
    i have recently acquired a knockout Roscoe 6 and im gettinng used to the feel of 6 again, and i know the F sixes are wonderful to play- considering that i am building a jazz style 5 for those occasions where people freak at the sight of 6 strings, which would you do?
    1. pass up the profit and hang on to the buckeye 5?
    2. sell the buckeye and take the sixer...
    which one do you guys like better, im curious!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    it's sweet but another one will come down the road my friend. Sell it, while you can make a profit. I'd sell this six too personally ... another one of those will come along.:)

3. They both look great, but if I were going on looks alone I would go with the Maple 6er. Perhaps you should just play them both and decide which one you want to keep.

4. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    I'm surpised that I am saying this because I do love the look of buckeye, but sell it. That 6 is gorgeous and you've got another 5 comin'.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Adrian, you're one of the most indecisive bassists I've ever heard of :p j/k What's the profit margin? If it's less that several hundred dollars, it's probably not worth all the hassle. And you have to consider your past experiences with sixers, and consider that you may need to sell the maple F if you trade for it.

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Sell it while you have a buyer willing to pay retail on a highend item.

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Seriously.. you are pretty indicisive.. Of course If I had the problem of basses like that falling into my lap, I would have the same problem. Both are beautiful... If I were you, I would take the 5-string, only because I play on 5s... but you are playing on 6s now... so maybe you should take the six-string.. either way I am jealous and its not right that you post these basses on here to tease me:p

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    diff- i cant tell you the profit margin!!!!;)
    yes i can, no i cant,yes i can, no i cant,yes i can, no i cant,yes i can, no i cant,- hey, you said i was indecisive!!:D
    its not a trade , either- both these basses are still at F bass in Canada-- its just a case of, " do i make money, or hang on to this bass?"
    i am already leaning in one direction, but i am very interested in yuo guys' opinions-- ive actually enjoyed playing 6 again- when the spacing is wide enough for me, its a whole other ball game! one thing, though, im trying to get George to make me a birdeye board, matching peghead neck for the 6er if i go that route- i already have a nice macassar ebony board on the roscoe-

9. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Adrian,

The burl maple bass looks great. Could you get it with a birdseye maple board? If so, I would go with the 6er and sell the buckeye.

Also, I would ask george to take a pic of it with chrome hardware instead of black. It may look better...

Peace, JP

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I think Woodchuck's answer was the best, because...........oh crap! you can tell it's me!

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    keep 'em all.

who needs money?

12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    you guys are right- the more basses i come across, the harder it gets to chosse the "right three"- i only plan on keeping 3 fretteds- i could never own a collection like Brads for example- i would just sell off what i dont play-
    i sometimes wish it was simpler , like when i only played a Tobias Signature 5 for 13 years, nothing else..
    the Roiscoe is a keeper- totally clean sound for days and shes just too beautiful to think about selling-
    ther will be , God willing, a j style 5 soon- i just cant afford a Sadowsky- $3300 buys me a LOT of hi end bass-- in fact-= i have never and probably never will pay over $3000 for a bass- had a $3800 Fodera ( trade deal) for 3 days-- out it went.. at that price , it needed to sound much better than it did.
    i really am looking for the magic three- of course, i would add a fretless, but i am nnowhere near as flaky when it comes to those- i dont play much fretless anymore- a nice Skyline or something like that suffices..

13. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    eek...i know what i would do, almost...sell the fiver. i'm not sure what i would do with the 6. sorry, but buckeye burl just looks too similar to what my one month old deposits in his diaper ;) i'm sure they both sound and play great, though. F's are just phenomenal. i was about to buy an old neck through bnf-5 until some rascal kids decided to pull down a 6 foot tall cedar privacy fence in one of my rental properties 2500 miles away from here. oh well...don't lose any sleep over it, man :D

14. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    JP- we are on the same page- i am waiting to hear if geirge will do another neck for me- and yes, chrome hardware all the way!! great minds think alike!! :rolleyes:

15. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Both look fantastic, so it's down to taste, and the fiver/sixer thing.

Personally I don't like burl all that much. The maple on the other hand is really classy, I prefer that understated look in the long run. I only play five-strings, but I'd still get that sixer if I had to choose...

Difficult!

16. I'd keep the 6. That maple top is stunning.

The buckeye looks pretty average, IMHO.

How close to a J tone can you get from the F?

Jeff

17. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    :D

18. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Sell everything but the Roscoe 6! ;)

19. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    i can get VERY close to the J tone, Jeff- so its kinda like having a j 6 in a way, which is VERY attractive to me- however, i still feel like i would need a Fender style 5 to satisfy the purists and nearsighted- just for sessions or like i said, when 6 looks too menacing. it happens, KC from KC and the Sunshine Band INSISTED i play the most 5 strings-- i had to play 5- he preffered 4- but 6 was out- just an example of how some people listen with their eyes- i was playng the same thing- it just looked like too many strings for him. Go figure:rolleyes:

20. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Boogie- LOL!! i KNEWwhat your opinion would be!!:D
    as flaky as i am, heres what i consider a keeper..
    [​IMG]