I need the funkiest bass there is! Tell me your suggestions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by COZ, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Hey guys i don't know if you read the off topic section, but my guitar was stolen, so in the off chance they don't cover it, i want the funkiest sounding bass there is, so my question to you guys, what is the funkiest sounding bass?
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I don't play funk, but maybe a Stingray?
  3. That star bass that Bootsy plays?

It's all in your fingers man! Any bass sounds funky if you play it right.
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    james jamerson's funk machine!!!

but i agree, that just about any bass will sound good with funk if you play it right. my favorites though are -

Warwick Streamer Stage II/Thumb/SSI
    Musicman Sterling/Stingray
    Fender Jazz or reasonable facsimile
    Fender Precision Deluxe

5. Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I would say 70's jazz basses, stingrays and sadowskies are all great, but after hearing what happens on the P-funk all-stars live at the beverly theatre cd, I definately want to add Lakland to the list. Probably the best funk bass I've heard for ages (although the props really go to the one standing behind that because he is the one making it all happen.)

And of course, if you could get your hands on the guy who built Bootsies star bass, you could probably score the funkiest bass ever.
  6. Warwick Corvette Jazzman.. the ultimate funk/slap bass.
  7. JPAmorim

Jul 17, 2001
    Rio de Janeiro
    As said before, a stingray would fit your needs!!

i used to have a P bass with a J pickup at the bridge. This combination is the best to me!!

8. Bingo! It's not the bass it's the bassist. BTW slapping is not necessarily funk or funky. Bootsy Collins would be funky on any bass he plays.
  9. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    A novel idea, but you will be surprised.
  10. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    to my ears the funk sound is the sound of james jamerson and donald duck dunn. and both used fender precision...
  11. well... if you dont mind spending over a grand, get the stingray, its impossable not to sound funky on it. i was trying it in the shop and was getting pissed of because I was playing metallica and it was sounding like chilis.
  12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA

Otherwise, it's totally in your hands. It's allll about the feel.
  13. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Bass Player mag calls the Tobias Growler "a funkmeister's delight". I'd say anything by Tobias (from the pre-musicyo.com days, that is), or an MTD American. I'm sure my Kingston would sound funky, if only I didn't sound like someone learning a foreign language over and over and over again.
  14. punkbassist

punkbassist Guest

Dec 3, 2001
    New Jersey
    those are the best basses i know for funk. THe flea bass is awesome **** happy searching!
  15. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Peavey G-bass. Agressive mids, funky tone. Still, I agree with the ideas that it's mostly in the fingers!
  16. Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    As has been said before, Funk is in the player, not the bass.

Having said that, however, i recommend the following....

Fender Precision
    Fender jazz
    Ibanez EDC-600
    MM Stingray.Sable or Sterling
    Yamaha BB series
    Spector Bolt-ons
  17. my cirrus can get a nice, punchy, funk tone from it, but that could be just me i'm not quite sure yet.
  18. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Thats the truth man....ppl say you can't make a Rickenbacker sound funky....I'll tell you wrong...got the nicest slap tone
  19. or how about whatever the hell larry graham played.
  20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It's all in the hands.

But, if you need a little help from the bass, I will third the Peavey Cirrus recommendation.

Great almost P tone for fingerstyle funk, great both pickups Jazz tone for slap, great modern slap tones, great Rocco style tone. One very versatile bass with tons of funk tones built in, whether you are using thumb or fingers.