1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need the help of a trusty UK based Talkbasser!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by santucci218, May 13, 2010.

1. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    OK, so my buddy goes to england for vacation. While over there, he bought me a few things. One was a guitar magazine called Total Guitar. Inside it, for whatever reason, there were lottery scratchoff tickets! Well, i scratched away and it says i won, but to like, see what i won, i had to text this specific phrase to a phone number. Chances are its something stupid, but who knows! I cant leave myself to be curious, so i wanted to ask if anyone over there would be willing to help a curious American out.

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Its probably spam. PM me a phtoo of the ticket, and the phrase and phone number and I will see if its spam or not. If its not I can text it for you, but I think its most likely just a way to get your phone number on some database.

3. drteeth

drteeth

Apr 1, 2008
    Leuven, Belgium
    That does not sound very legit.

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I used to get Total Guitar, one time.

Utter spam(funny enough, I won every month, at least once on every ticket), like all the junk in Metal Hammer, for example.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

There's loads of magazines do this - it's a scam!

What happens is that you have to call a premium rate phone number - so you have paid a high rate and the prize maybe be worth a few pounds - huge profit for them and you have wasted your time for a cheap item you couldn't give away!! :meh:

6. It's spam, as has been said, you always win with those ones.

7. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I actually own a bridge in Wales. Santucci, for $400 paypalled to my account, I can sign it over to you. Just think about it..mull it over, you don't have to answer right now.
    But just think how cool you will be as the owner of a Welsh bridge.
    I've never actually seen it but I think it's made from stone.

8. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    They're the good ones too, if you don't like it you could easily sell it on for $800 later, if you don't want a quick sale... :ninja:

9. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    I'll send you a pm tonight! Though, i just found it odd. I never seen any magazine in the US do that with lottery scratchoff tickets..

Hmm..

I'll take it!

10. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    They put them in nearly every UK magazine, even the ones that come with newspapers.

Score.

11. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I'm betting this.

12. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    About so, they get your details, and you loose 30/40 bucks in phone charges, for 5$ scratch card win, they're out to grab the dum dums that don't read fine print.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I think other countries have different laws - but it has been quite a big public scandal here, how the use of "premium rate " phonelines can rake in huge amounts of money without people realising it - until they check their bills much later!! :mad:

15. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Not big enough for anyone to do anything about it though...

Also, I don't ever remember receiving a scratchcard with my copy of the Guardian. Maybe you guys are just reading the wrong newspapers? :)

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Even thought it hasn't been mentioned yet, I think this is SPAM.

-Mike

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    This is an eye opening thread, for a couple of reasons.

18. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Yes, as in your eyes must be open in order to read it.

19. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Ahh but I've closed my eyes and am reading this thread in brielle.

:hyper: hee hee this guy tickles.

Edit - I ran out of coffee. I take no responsibility for any exceedingly goofy stuff I may post from here until I actually get some coffee

20. Bruce Lindfield

I agree that this kind of thing is never in the Guardian - but I get a free magazine each month from Sky TV and it is stuffed full of these - scratch cards with winners but you have to contact a premium rate phone line to claim your prize...:meh: