Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need this sound!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Jun 7, 2002.

1. O.k. I play Ibanez. BTB. Sadly I bought my bass after about three months of playing. And at the time I didn't know much so like a lot of other people I bought for looks. Now I've been playing all these guitars and I just can't find that sound. My bass sounds real metallic. I'm not sure if it's the wood or the guitar but I want that woody, deep, soft, not real bright highs, but noticeable. Like a Fender Jazz. But I was wondering if anyone could recommend some companies with that wood sound. I'm sure somebody will understand this babble. Please help. Um, listen to some new Incubus. That Dirk has that cool tone. Thats kind of what I'm going for. My g string (hah hah) sound so poppy when I turn up the highs but I have to because it brings out the highs. If I keep the deep tone my g string isn't bright at all. Barely hearable. I play a lot of chords so I need the **** to stand out. I don't know. I'm starting to get annoyed with playing cause my tone is just disgusting. Please help. Thanks.

2. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    volume @100%
    blend pot @75% neck pickup
    treble flat
    lows @75%
    play with the mids and the mid switch

- try to play softer. Maybe you are hearing some fret noise

- change your strings to nickel or even to flats.

3. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Shift the mid freq knob more to low mids and boost the mids a bit the normal mid knob. That should be able to get you started. Also try messing with your amp a bit that could help too.

4. Warwick

Warwick

Warwick

Warwick

hard

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Get a Warwick or a Fender Jazz.
    You can get a MIM Jazz pretty reasonably priced.
    I personally prefer the older Warwicks than any of the newer ones.

6. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Your BTB can get a nice, growly Fender jazz-like tone. Set the pickup blend to mostly (or all) bridge pickup. Roll off the highs almost completely. Boost the low mids a bit. Pluck near the bridge, or right over the bridge pickup.

The "metallic, clicky" sound is usually because the highs are up too much. I like to boost highs and lows when I'm after that grindy, musicman style tone.

-Shin

7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    maybe you are not dialing your tones well...

but since you want the "Sound of Wood" and you like Incubus, you obviously want the Warwick Tone...

8. Thanks. Has anyone seen those King Crimson DVDs. Tony Levin has the exact tone those live recordings.

9. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Ditto on the EQ tips.
    Ditto on playing over the bridge pickup.
    Ditto on Warwick.
    Add Cirrus to mix. I get that kind of tone with little alteration.

10. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Don't sell the BTB short. Its a good bass.. I think you can get some good sounds out of it.. you just need to adjust the controls a bit more than you have...

11. Well last time i saw Dirk He was playing a Warwick Infinity (the hollowbody'd one)

And as some of the guys have mentioned warwick allready I wont bother. I have also seen him use a (80's looking) P-Bass.

12. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Yeah,a nice semi-hollow body might be just the thing.

13. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Dirk Lance plays Warwick Streamer Stage IIs, that Infinity (just for the Drive video I think) and an old Fender Jazz (nice and red). He uses the Jazz for all those kind of songs, Drive, Wish You Were Here, Are You In?, all the smooth mellow ones.