1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need tips on recording software

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Steve!, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Steve!

Steve!

Nov 5, 2008
    I have FL Studio 8 XXL right now for all my recording since I used to make electronic music. Now I'm not liking the workflow of this program for recording live instruments. I decided to get rid of it
    soon and import all my sounds and vst's to another program (that is more for recording) I was thinking about getting Sonar 8 but are any better programs for recording?

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I'm far from being a genius with any of this stuff but my experience is that all of the high end software pretty much does the same thing. What it comes down to is the amount of time one puts into learning to use it. The most poplular software around my parts are Cubase and Protools. If I were starting with something new I'd go with one of them for compatability (and familiarity) sake with other studios I might use. I currently use Cubase cuz I'm comfortable with it, but never even got to the point of having to go past the free versions. I like to do the most with the least when it comes to recording. I'm a bas player, not an engineer. :) All the songs on my myspace were done w Cubase.

3. tacozombies

tacozombies

Jul 24, 2008
    Bristol, CT
    pro-tools is the standard for most studios. if you don't have that kind of scratch I would say either cubase or Nuendo would do you fine.

4. Steve!

Steve!

Nov 5, 2008
    Thanks for the tips!

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I agree. I've tried a lot of different ones, and what really matters are the sounds you've got going into it rather than the software. Pick one and stick to it. I use Sonar myself but it doesn't matter. I don't even like to upgrade the software. I used Cakewalk 98 for 10 years until it just wouldn't work right with the new operating systems. If you don't want to pay a lot of money, Reaper is also pretty cool and has a fully functional demo.

6. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    i used cool edit pro for a long time, i recently moved up to adobe audition 3.0 and it does everything i need to, and has most of the features in the same places so it was easy to transfer

7. Steve!

Steve!

Nov 5, 2008
    Thanks again guys I got my eye on Sonar Studio

8. dumonster

dumonster

Feb 8, 2008
    I'll toss my hat in the Sonar ring. I have found it to be comprehensive, intuitive to learn and use, the company responsive to fixing bugs, and nearly every release has compelling reasons to upgrade. Whatever you pick, you will likely be using it for some time, and with Roland as the parent company, Cakewalk should be around for a long time.